Sheilajeanne

Weaver's Loom Available for FREE

I know that some of us are interested in crafts other than leatherwork. I just saw this posted on another board I belong to. 

A lady in the Pacific Northwest has to go into a retirement home, and cannot take her loom with her. It's quite big, and will do a project up to 36". 

The loom is in Winthrop, WA, and my friend in Seattle is willing to help with transport. It’s a beautifully engineered tool, that will sadly go to landfill if a home for it can’t be found. Could be a great tool for a geeky weaver with passion and curiosity.

Loom update! This loom is a countermarche loom. It has 2 set of lams. If you are handy you can change it to a jack loom. The weaving area is 36”, and the size is 40x40. This measurement seems small to me, looking at the pics. But, I’m not a weaver.

Brenda Dayne is the contact person: https://twitter.com/BrendaDayne

Oh dear - definitely going to have to resize some photos!!

Possibly a well executed vintage DIY project.  With some TLC and wire heddles to replaced the strings it looks like it would be a good loom, 6 harnesses provide plenty of design options without being over complicated.  Be pretty heavy and bulky to ship very far as an assembled unit and I wouldn't recommend disassembly.

Yep, definitely looks like a well-made loom that could be a useful tool. The problem is transport... 

@Squid61 There is absolutely nothing wrong with string heddles, at least not on a countermarch or counterbalance loom.

6 hours ago, Klara said:

Yep, definitely looks like a well-made loom that could be a useful tool. The problem is transport... 

@Squid61 There is absolutely nothing wrong with string heddles, at least not on a countermarch or counterbalance loom.

Perhaps Klara, I prefer wire for ease of warping and lower drag on the warp threads.  Might also have something to do with my less than optimal dexterity.