Hey there! Sorry if this has already been asked, but nothing really came up in the search. 

I'm looking to make a truck center console cover, first for myself, and then potentially offering them through my business depending on how it goes. I just can't find any guide or how-to, and when I attempt to take measurements and make a paper pattern and tape it together (alloting for seam differences) it still comes out wonky. I am not against using a fabric sleeve so that only the top is tooled, but I would like to learn how to make both. 

Thank you in advance! 

The simplest approach on pattern making is to cover your subject in cling film as a separator, then silver gaffers tape as the moulding agent, finally draw the panels on with a sharpie. Lift or cut the mould free and cut the panels. Transfer them to paper, addi seam allowances for sewing and then to card - I plasticise it. Those  are then your cutting masters.

Use darts and fillets to allow for curves - a dart with cut-in curved sides will follow the curve into a 3d-curve, but check the length of both sides matches. Check if the block's magnetic - you might be able to add magnetcs to hold the cover in place, both at the edges and centre. Obviously, you don't want the entire shebang sliding into the driver's footwell at any time.

Edited by Rahere

An excellent pattern material can be found at Joann Fabric shops.

Ask them about their marine vinyl.  It's a tad pricy at 19 to 25 a yard . . . but the yard I believe is 45 inches wide . . . and you can get 20, 30, 40, and sometimes 50% off (one item) coupons on the internet.  

It is my go to pattern material.  It mimics leather in many ways . . . but can be easily hand sewn or a good home sewing machine will also sew it . . . and you can play with it all day long. 

I've used it for chaps . . . bags . . .  gun cases . . . a little with holsters,  but I don't usually need it there.

Have fun . . . may God bless,

Dwight

I was toying with such a suggestion, Pastor, but felt unable to advise on local materials. He's followed a hint from the Boss to pick up where I left off< @seasidesunflower.
Once you have your pattern panels drafted, you need to test them against the real thing. That's usually done with cheap materials, but I had no good local suggestions. Once you've discovered what can be improved, alter your patterns, copy them afresh (noting variant #s on the parts so you don't get them mixed up), and repeat. Don't forget leather is thicker than fabric, of course.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, Rahere said:

The simplest approach on pattern making is to cover your subject in cling film as a separator, then silver gaffers tape as the moulding agent, finally draw the panels on with a sharpie. Lift or cut the mould free and cut the panels. Transfer them to paper, addi seam allowances for sewing and then to card - I plasticise it. Those  are then your cutting masters.

Use darts and fillets to allow for curves - a dart with cut-in curved sides will follow the curve into a 3d-curve, but check the length of both sides matches. Check if the block's magnetic - you might be able to add magnetcs to hold the cover in place, both at the edges and centre. Obviously, you don't want the entire shebang sliding into the driver's footwell at any time.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:14 PM, Dwight said:

An excellent pattern material can be found at Joann Fabric shops.

Ask them about their marine vinyl.  It's a tad pricy at 19 to 25 a yard . . . but the yard I believe is 45 inches wide . . . and you can get 20, 30, 40, and sometimes 50% off (one item) coupons on the internet.  

It is my go to pattern material.  It mimics leather in many ways . . . but can be easily hand sewn or a good home sewing machine will also sew it . . . and you can play with it all day long. 

I've used it for chaps . . . bags . . .  gun cases . . . a little with holsters,  but I don't usually need it there.

Have fun . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Thank ya'll! I didn't even think of gaffer's tape, and I definitely like a test fabric before- even if it is pricey, it'll be cheaper than doing it over again with leather because I messed up the first time!

For something heavy, one might well tape it crosswise in a first layer, then lengthwise in the second. Let it go a bit oversize so you can trim it back where it meets the floor, for example. Add match-up marks along the seams, too, so when you reassemble you find both sides of the seam come out equal. It's fine to put tape on the leather to do this.

I'd be surprised if Checaflo on YouTube doesn't have the answer to this. The man is a genius with anything car related.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, seasidesunflower said:

Hey there! Sorry if this has already been asked, but nothing really came up in the search. 

I'm looking to make a truck center console cover, first for myself, and then potentially offering them through my business depending on how it goes. I just can't find any guide or how-to, and when I attempt to take measurements and make a paper pattern and tape it together (alloting for seam differences) it still comes out wonky. I am not against using a fabric sleeve so that only the top is tooled, but I would like to learn how to make both. 

Thank you in advance! 

Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=center+console+Cechaflo