Hello.

I wish to acquire sheet soling that is hard-wearing. I have heard that Topy in France makes such soling. My current soling is rated at 85 on the Shore A scale of hardness. It wears too quickly at the heel.

Does anyone here have experience of Topy soling in regard to wear? Please share this with me.

Thank you.

Scott

Hello again.

What is the hardest wearing sheet soling that you've used or heard of? I've been using 5mm thick Caster tyre tread soling which is rated at 85 on the Shore A scale of hardness. It wears far too quickly.

Thanks.

Scott

I am afraid that you may be in a niche most of us are unfamiliar with and haven't been able to scrape together a decent answer.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, ScottEnglish said:

I wish to acquire sheet soling that is hard-wearing.

I can't be of any help other then check with a cobbler that does replacement soles cut from either used car tires or the sheets of retreads rubber used to retread tires.

kgg

On 7/8/2021 at 10:55 PM, ScottEnglish said:

Hello.

I wish to acquire sheet soling that is hard-wearing. I have heard that Topy in France makes such soling. My current soling is rated at 85 on the Shore A scale of hardness. It wears too quickly at the heel.

Does anyone here have experience of Topy soling in regard to wear? Please share this with me.

Thank you.

Scott

Topy anti slip is very long wearing on the sole area but for the heel not so. For heels Topy strong is good but not much good for soling, too stiff. https://www.leffler.com.au/topy-strong-5mm-black-/ If you can post a pic of the type of shoe you want to do would help as some of the Vibram type soles may be better for your needs. :dunno:

Thanks RockyAussie. Your information is really helpful.

To clarify my soling problem, I'm learning to make footwear with flat soles. There is no heel. Hence the soling material wearing too quickly!

Scott

Hello Chris.

In my, albeit limited experience, leather soled moccasins wear out too quickly on the road, are hazardous when crossing wet cattle grids, and absorb water to the detriment of the glue bond between insole and outsole. However, sole bend may be more durable than the leather I used.

Thanks.

Scott

1 hour ago, ScottEnglish said:

Thanks RockyAussie. Your information is really helpful.

To clarify my soling problem, I'm learning to make footwear with flat soles. There is no heel. Hence the soling material wearing too quickly!

Scott

I would suggest you have a long look at all the various types of soling material made by Vibram. I have to ask why you want to do flat soles on these shoes? Men"s shoes normally have a 3/4" or so raise at the heel be it a wedge or heel block and that is because ergonomically they are better wearing that way. If they are too flat you will generally get knee issues and heel spurs just to name a couple of the top of my head. Track running shoes are a different thing because your saving weight and the heel hardly comes into use. By the way hardness rating does not necessarily come into meaning they will last longer. Hard rubbers can often wear out quicker because they have no give. Some heels can be tapered at the back a little to increase the surface contact area which greatly increases the length of wear. This does make for a slightly more rolling walk which is not so bad.

RockyAussie: My experience of heels, both as a former runner and now as a pedestrian, is that they cause injury. Hence my footwear having flat soles. I'm grateful to you for your comment about hardness not being synonymous with durability. That's something for me to investigate further.

Scott

4 minutes ago, ScottEnglish said:

RockyAussie: My experience of heels, both as a former runner and now as a pedestrian, is that they cause injury. Hence my footwear having flat soles. I'm grateful to you for your comment about hardness not being synonymous with durability. That's something for me to investigate further.

Scott

You may find a product called Topy rug which is pretty good wearing but you would likely want a 3mm layer of aircelite between the upper and the sole for better cushioning. Aircelite is sort of a form of eva foam rubber a bit like thong rubber if you like. I have to ask ...what injury are you talking about?

RockyAussie: I used to suffer from heel pain when walking and running. This disappeared when I switched from footwear with a raised heel to footwear with a flat sole. Lateral knee pain whilst running was also much reduced after this change.

Scott

On 11/15/2021 at 1:52 AM, ScottEnglish said:

RockyAussie: I used to suffer from heel pain when walking and running. This disappeared when I switched from footwear with a raised heel to footwear with a flat sole. Lateral knee pain whilst running was also much reduced after this change.

Scott

That is good if it works for you. Generally the first signs of heel pain are caused by bad arch support. When the shoe is not a good fit on the foot it allows over extension which then leads to the tendons tearing away from the calcaneus heel bone. Many modern shoes are not built with decent shanks in them if they even have them at all. As you get older you may find that with lower heels you start to suffer Achilles tendon tearing and spurs etc. If you mostly walk around on soft ground and such then you won't generally have many problems but if on concrete ............not good.