BtownMN

Need Chase Splitter blade reground

I have a 8" Osborne Chase Pattern splitter blade that i need to have reground. Do you know of anyone who offers a service to resharpen leather blades?

I don't know about your area but when I needed a splitter blade sharpened, I asked a cabinet maker who sharpened his planer blades.  I got in touch with that person and have had good luck so far..  I don't know if all shops can sharpen then but the one I talked to can and did.  You might try that if you want to.

A piece of glass and some 1500+ grit wet/dry sandpaper can be used to sharpen it quite well.  Place the blade on the paper with the glass under it and you can feel when the bevel is flat.  Strop it until you have done it enough times to remove all the scratches and then finish off by tilting it up a bit to put the cutting edge on.  Strop it again on some green compound impregnated leather and then flip it over to remove the burr with a few additional strops.  Unless the edge is badly damaged I have found that this works good enough to split down to about 2oz.

If it is so badly damaged that it actually needs to be reground then you may need some coarse paper and a jig to hold the blade.  I bought an 8" splitter on eBay once that was cheap because it wouldn't split anything.  I made a jig to hold the blade at the correct angle and just used elbow grease to work it down.  All it needed was a little blade care.

I think Weaver leather offers a sharpening service.

Thanks for the replies! The whole thing was used as a decoration for a while. It was entirely dismantled, painted gray, and put back together to sit in some store somewhere. I spent a while with low grit sand paper but the blade needs more help than I can provide.

Thanks for the suggestions!