29k15engine

My first leather jacket

I thought I would share some pictures of my first leather jacket I made.

I have had a leather/nubuck jacket from GAP for 20 years, I really loved it and alway wondered if I could maybe make one.

Quite quickly I realised a household machine was not going to work, so I bought a speedy stitcher and a stitch wheel.

With these trusty tools I set about making templates of my jacket taking note of the felled and half felled seams.

Once I was happy with this I did a few trials of how much seam was needed for the desired result.

With seams added to the pattern I started to cut out the pattern.

DSC_0274.jpg

Im happy with how it all went, the jacket is too heavy for daily use. I think though if I can make a thick one then a thinner will be easier. Just on the lookout for come nice leather or nappa around 0.8mm.

Hope you like it

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

20210625_182115.jpg.fc29c94f995803c935bfb108998d0e85.jpg

20210625_182140.jpg.d7ae02654c109b663a77342d0c27c43b.jpg

20210625_182153.thumb.jpg.8417f1e264f8dd63bbde436f1ed668db.jpg

Wow, this is amazing! Please tell me you've had previous tailoring experience...

As for the weight - I believe it's a sign of quality. I have a motorcycling jacket which is much too heavy for normal daily wear, but it literally saved my skin in an accident. 

Nice work, lots of hours, you should be proud of this. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for your words.

Nope no previous experience, just lots of time, as i used a speedy stitcher there was plenty of time to get the stitches where i wanted them.

Ive learned alot doing it and so am well prepared for where i would do things the same, as well as different on my next one.

beautiful work friend that jacket rocks! I would love the the thicker leather its gets colder than he## here but the wind is what is the worst, pushes that cold right through regular clothing.

Insanely impressive 

That is really cool. 

I absolutely love your jacket. Amazing job, especially for the 1st one!

It seems that this is happening: your parts follow the tracing of the original, stretched parts. Next time you might want to holistically look at the pattern that you got by copying, and to straighten some lines. Also, this plain zipper puller does not do justice to the wonderful jacket itself. You may find fancier pullers online. None of this "critique" should distract from the exceptional work that you've done. I want this to come as encouragement. Hope you understand.

Edited by DrmCa

Probably the best example of leatherwork I've seen.  You nailed it. 

That will make a great winter coat or better yet a biker jacket.  

this leather jacket is so astonishing Concerning the weight I trust it's an indication of value

On 7/10/2021 at 12:27 AM, 29k15engine said:

Im happy with how it all went, the jacket is too heavy for daily use. I think though if I can make a thick one then a thinner will be easier. Just on the lookout for come nice leather or nappa around 0.8mm.

Hope you like it

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

20210625_182115.jpg.fc29c94f995803c935bfb108998d0e85.jpg

20210625_182140.jpg.d7ae02654c109b663a77342d0c27c43b.jpg

20210625_182153.thumb.jpg.8417f1e264f8dd63bbde436f1ed668db.jpg

I'm late to the show but damn that's great work! And with a Speedy Stitcher!? :cheers:

On 7/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, 29k15engine said:

I thought I would share some pictures of my first leather jacket I made.

I have had a leather/nubuck jacket from GAP for 20 years, I really loved it and alway wondered if I could maybe make one.

You my fried are brave . . . a I am not so.  Like you . . . I've had a leather jacket . . . typically known as a "bomber jacket" for at least the last 30 years . . . and love the way leather keeps out the cold wind.

Added I to it a leather full length rain coat for doing funerals in the winter (I'm a pastor) . . . and a couple of just leather jacketes.

Saw what is known as a "cafe racer" leather jacket . . . decided I wanted one.  Unlike you . . . I passed the buck on making one.  Found one on line made of sheep skin . . . for less than I could have bought the leather . . .  to say nothing of the zippers, lining, etc.

Be that as it may . .  . you certainly have my congratulations on a job well done . . . 

Look into using lambskin or sheep skin for the next one if you want a lighter weight one.

May God bless,

Dwight