YinTx

When you know you are holding ALL the Aces (holster for a hand cannon)

Been thinking on this one for years, and finally got around to putting it together. First version was too big, second version was a bit too snug! (you can see the slight bump on the end from the barrel sight) But that being said, the hand cannon thocks into place and stays very solid, won't fall out even upside down with shaking.  Not sure if that is the intent?  Any holster makers let me know!  I debated putting this in the "critique my work" section, so if you can, give me some pointers!  How do you decide when to put in a welt?

Also, must say toe plugs are sure a challenge.  Kudos to those that do them well.  These are the only two I have ever done, and lets just say I need some more practice.

YinTx

Aces4LoRes.jpg.5b9724f7a7d9ed0967ff25123c312cb2.jpg

Aces3LoRes.thumb.jpg.dbc2ad9f4b0d57bc00c3095afb81ed1c.jpg

Aces2LoRes.jpg.0cf28527b272a1af0d67cd4f82d85692.jpg

Is that what they call a walking holster?

2 hours ago, kiwican said:

Is that what they call a walking holster?

Never heard of a walking holster.  Not sure what the style is called.  I guess its similar to a California Slim Jim, but not quite.  Guess I need to figure it out?

YinTx

Would like to see pic of backside. Very nice job

Looks most excellent to me

Both look great!!!   yea its a slim Jim, IMO, the only difference is because of the revolver shape. The slim jims were made for the black powder guns of the day that had the reloading lever under the barrel so have another little hump.

Dont know much about the term walking holster i figure it is something left over from days past when they had  pommel holsters and such that identified the holster as being carried on the hip or belt. You would get a pommel holster for you saddle and a walking holster for when on foot.

Some folk put in a welt that matches the width of the trigger guard then taper it down  as it follows the barrel, i never have but it reduces the stretch caused by the  trigger guard in that area as it is used over time.

I went through all of my old gunleather books and catalogs, and the closest thing I can figure is the California Slim Jim, although as you can see from the back the belt loop is different.  I can't imagine I'm the first to come up with this modification, so surely it is out there somewhere someone made something like this and called it something!

7 hours ago, fredk said:

Looks most excellent to me

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Would like to see pic of backside. Very nice job

See attached, and thanks!

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Both look great!!!   yea its a slim Jim, IMO, the only difference is because of the revolver shape.

Kinda agree, but the belt loop is different.  Entire holster cut from a single piece of leather (except the toe plug) instead of a separate piece for the belt loop. Nothing earth shaking, but different.  And appreciate it!

YinTx

AcesBack.thumb.jpg.de23db4ed290084326cfdd51065824b1.jpg

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Both look great!!!   yea its a slim Jim, IMO, the only difference is because of the revolver shape. The slim jims were made for the black powder guns of the day that had the reloading lever under the barrel so have another little hump.

Dont know much about the term walking holster i figure it is something left over from days past when they had  pommel holsters and such that identified the holster as being carried on the hip or belt. You would get a pommel holster for you saddle and a walking holster for when on foot.

Some folk put in a welt that matches the width of the trigger guard then taper it down  as it follows the barrel, i never have but it reduces the stretch caused by the  trigger guard in that area as it is used over time.

I think walking and shoot or something. I found it on the net when i went looking for it and swore id remember the name....then forgot it. 

3 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I think walking and shoot or something

Walk and draw maybe?

YinTx

1 minute ago, YinTx said:

Walk and draw maybe?

YinTx

Yeah, That was it!

31 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Yeah, That was it!

Didn't know it was a thing until I looked it up on DuckDuckGo.

YinTx

54 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Didn't know it was a thing until I looked it up on DuckDuckGo.

YinTx

lol yea me neither i was way off!!   "Andy Anderson Design Western Walk & Draw Gun Belt and Holster Set as patterned by Andy Anderson and made famous by Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood among many others. The famous Western Walk & Draw Gun Belt and Holster Set is also known as the Spaghetti Western Gun Belt and Holster Set as well. This Andy Anderson design was unique in a variety of design factors with the most notable being a Reinforced Holster with a contoured Hip Plate for stability." So is that why john Wayne walked like he did? lol i posted a really interesting video on the history of movie holsters a long time ago on another thread here i will have to re-watch it i guess. what is interesting is the fact that the movie gun holsters were reinforced so that the cylinder could rotate while still in the holster allowing you to draw and cock at the same time, that is what made the quick draw. 

Edited by chuck123wapati

Looks great.

4 hours ago, spacedog said:

Looks great.

Thank you kindly!

YinTx

like the card hand that you carved out.   Bet it was alot of fun to make!

Nice job!   I did two toe plugs one just for practice the other for the job to my amazement it came out perfect  I remember thinking it wasn't that hard to do, but I was in no rush to do another. Between figuring out the best way to do it, the test run then making the finished job it took all day. 

On 7/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, spacedog said:

Looks great.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, JayEhl said:

like the card hand that you carved out.   Bet it was alot of fun to make!

It was, I'd been cogitating on it for years and finally did it.  Since I haven't done much carving in so long, it was a bit of a challenge to get the tiny letters and symbols, but it was passable.  Really I just wanted something to show what is possible for any potential customers.

9 hours ago, Samalan said:

Nice job!   I did two toe plugs one just for practice the other for the job to my amazement it came out perfect  I remember thinking it wasn't that hard to do, but I was in no rush to do another. Between figuring out the best way to do it, the test run then making the finished job it took all day. 

Thank you, and for sure, if I took more time to do it I would probably be happier with the outcome.  I have higher expectations for the third version.  :blush:

YinTx

Dont apprehend abundant regarding the term walking holster i figure it's one thing left over from days past once they had pommel holsters and such known the holster as being carried on the hip or belt. you'd get a pommel holster for you saddle and a walking holster for once on foot. I can't imagine I'm the primary to return up with this modification, therefore for sure it is out there somewhere somebody created something like this and known as it something! Also i don't have many experience with that because i still learning this on video lessons and on educational services eg. essayup.com

Edited by ptrouton

23 minutes ago, ptrouton said:

Dont apprehend abundant regarding the term walking holster i figure it's one thing left over from days past once they had pommel holsters and such known the holster as being carried on the hip or belt. you'd get a pommel holster for you saddle and a walking holster for once on foot. I can't imagine I'm the primary to return up with this modification, therefore for sure it is out there somewhere somebody created something like this and known as it something! Also i don't have many experience with that because i still learning this on video lessons and on educational services eg. essayup.com

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "apprehend abundant" mean i 've never used or seen those words in a sentence like that?

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "apprehend abundant" mean i 've never used or seen those words in a sentence like that?

Looks like an advertisement for some link.  If it is for writing essays, might get a better salesperson.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:44 AM, chuck123wapati said:

maybe... don't "worry too much?"  I haven't.  :)

YinTx

Ni e job, and retention is a good thing unless it locks the gun in the holster so tight you cant draw it.

Turned out nice. I have made a couple in a similar pattern. I just modified a California Slim Jim style holster to have the belt loop made into the holster instead of sewn on.