My tiny company has outgrown my tiny leather workspace

please help me in reaching my goal of converting my detached garage into a dedicated leatherwork space. I have started a Kickstarter fund to help in reaching my goal, any pledge would mean the world to me. Thank you fellow crafters! 

a preview link to the page, Hoping to launch on Friday the 16th.

Caleb

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/campleathergoods/camp-leather-goods-needs-a-bigger-home?ref=3p9452&token=ab877b1b

39 minutes ago, Campleathergoods said:

please help me in reaching my goal of converting my detached garage into a dedicated leatherwork space.

I don't think this kind of appeal belongs in "Show Off." You might ask to have it re-posted in "Leatherwork Conversation."

Edited by LatigoAmigo

32 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I don't think this kind of appeal belongs in "Show Off." You might ask to have it re-posted in "Leatherwork Conversation."

Thank You

Send some of that money my way, I can use it, too.

You'd probably get a much better response if you specified a reward and left out the part where you're trying to get a bigger shop for example start a kickstarter for wallets that you produce, show lots of pics of the product and then list 1 or 2 or 3 wallets depending on the contribution your backers pledge. Most people aren't going to pledge money to a kickstarter campaign unless they feel like they're getting something tangible out of it. The way you pitched it sounds more like a gofundme, just my humble opinion 

I'm hoping this is a joke, because it feels like a scam.

3 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

I'm hoping this is a joke, because it feels like a scam.

can I ask what part feels like a scam? its a voluntary fundraiser.

7 hours ago, DustinSmith said:

You'd probably get a much better response if you specified a reward and left out the part where you're trying to get a bigger shop for example start a kickstarter for wallets that you produce, show lots of pics of the product and then list 1 or 2 or 3 wallets depending on the contribution your backers pledge. Most people aren't going to pledge money to a kickstarter campaign unless they feel like they're getting something tangible out of it. The way you pitched it sounds more like a gofundme, just my humble opinion 

if you look at the kickstarter page, I do have rewards. I do appreciate your opinion.

19 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Moved as suggested.

I spent years building the shop I have............buying my tools and equipment and never would dare to ask fellow crafters to fund the building of any of it. Shame on you.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:58 AM, Blackjack21 said:

I spent years building the shop I have............buying my tools and equipment and never would dare to ask fellow crafters to fund the building of any of it. Shame on you.

I think that is great that you bought all of your tools and equipment, what is wrong with me asking for help ? it was completely voluntary and people reached out and funded, I am very grateful. The times are different and we now have additional avenues to utilize. "Shame on you" is pretty rude, you don't even know me or anything about my leather craft journey/story. 

I agree: it should be shame on me! If I submitted to begging.

How much do you need.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, Campleathergoods said:

what is wrong with me asking for help ?

It embarrasses those of us who pay for our tools and supplies with our own money (that we usually got by having a job). We spend this money on leather hides, dyes, findings, etc. for a hobby that we love, and you are asking us to stop spending that hard-earned money on our selves and instead give some of it to you, someone we don't know and likely never will.

Remind me again... why would I want to send you any of my money?

But when you look at the charities that save hundreds if not thousands of lives, or just make a big difference to people like bringing tape water to a village in Arica or other third world countries, yet people give to a individual who has the means and equipment to make a living yet cries out for help

I understand why some people may feel this is inappropriate but at the same time I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.  I am treating this like the salesman who comes to my door.  I don't answer it. 

He isn't making anyone give.  If you want to, you can.  If you don't want to, just move on.  No need to be outraged.

~JL

42 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

I understand why some people may feel this is inappropriate but at the same time I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.  I am treating this like the salesman who comes to my door.  I don't answer it. 

He isn't making anyone give.  If you want to, you can.  If you don't want to, just move on.  No need to be outraged.

A salesman that comes to your door is working for his money.  I think this guy is just plain sleazy asking for money on this forum.  If he were a war veteran with a disability I would be happy to support him.  As far as "just moving on", it's like a gruesome car wreck that one just has to take a look.

3 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

it's like a gruesome car wreck that one just has to take a look.

well, maybe the analogy of the salesman at the door may not be the best but I was more pointing out how I don't answer solicitations no matter if its online or at the door. :)   

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Like it or not - but thats what Kickstarter is for

I certainly understand the benefit of those types of sites, but I didn't think this was one of them.

I think it's just a new generational thing. Many young adult and kids will just donate to help each other. I wish I had thought of this when the company I worked for went out of business. I wasn't able to find work for a year, not even walmart. Wife took two jobs, food stamps, repairing kid's clothing, ect. That sucked. Maybe not here but on facebk or something.

I don't think I could just donate having two kids. It would mean taking something away from them. Although if one of you guys who have been helping me so much already with my business were in trouble I would. Just no pizza, burgers, or beer for a weekend or two to budget it out. 

Edited by Viles

Just to clear the air as it seems some people here are embarrassed/offended That I would ask for help, Just to be clear the fundraiser is over and I met my goal of $4,500 in 11 days from friends/family and supporters of my small business. I am the sole owner crafter at Camp Leather Goods. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:41 AM, mike02130 said:

A salesman that comes to your door is working for his money.  I think this guy is just plain sleazy asking for money on this forum.  If he were a war veteran with a disability I would be happy to support him.  As far as "just moving on", it's like a gruesome car wreck that one just has to take a look.

My company is disabled veteran owned to make that clear to this guy. I served 5 years active duty US Navy Law Enforcement/Anti- terrorism and 2 years reserves. I only say that as clearly mike02130 clearly hasn't looked at my website, instead just chose to get agro and start slamming keys on his keyboard. I also offer a veterans discount on my website for my fellow veteran and active duty brothers and sisters.

For anyone who chose to look at my fundraiser page, would have seen that I was rewarding funders with product from my shop for different pledge amounts. I feel that is far from "sleazy and begging."

I do appreciate the support from those that stood up for my fundraiser, and they are right, if its not for you...then don't donate, I never asked for anything more.

So call me what you will, that's fine. I will continue to move forward with my business offering the best products I can at affordable prices for everyone. 

Take Care.

65205367657--08231088-6F4B-4963-9896-12C81CE50BE4.JPG

Edited by Campleathergoods
forgot pic

1 minute ago, mike02130 said:

Oh, so now you tell us?  No more click bait?

I'm sorry Mike, do you think Veterans go around toting their medical status? come on man. You are better than this, aren't you?

2 minutes ago, Campleathergoods said:

I'm sorry Mike, do you think Veterans go around toting their medical status? come on man. You are better than this, aren't you?

He didnt tote his medical status, he directly responded to someone. If yall didnt want to fund him, fine. You didnt have to. Never hurts to ask, he asked. But dont bash him for it.