I was hoping a manual clicker press would work for a 8x12 stamp, but now that I own one I'm having a hard time believing it. 

Is there a general rule of the ton press vs square inch of stamp to get one clean image? If I was to make a few production items with a large stamp (12"x12") what would I need to buy? 

I'm not an expert (by a long shot or stretch of imagination) nor am I experienced with this tool but have seen a few youtube videos on how to build a stamp press//clickers on the cheap using a simple bench arbor press  (1ton) or the larger stand up type up to I think 20 tons.   Here we have a hardware store called Harbor Freight.  The bench top one I was looking at is sometimes on sale for less than $50.  https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html    probably won't fit your needs but this is a six tone that might fit what you want:  https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a-frame-bench-shop-press-1666.html     I know it doesn't answer your question off hand but it won't blow a budget to experiment, either.   Just my .01 worth.......

I use a 10 ton hydraulic press with two 12 inch square metal plates one inch thick.............put the stamp between them and get great results at about 4,000 lbs

With arbore press you can get a lot more pressure by using a extension to the operating bar, just get a hollow bar to slip over the existing bar, but that is a very large stamping area