Jholden0

Am I ready to sell some of these watch straps?

I've been making at least one leather watch strap a day for about 2.5 -3 years now.  I have yet to feel confident enough to actually exchange any of them for money.  I would love it if some of you could critique them.  If you feel up to it, let me know what a good price may be for similar items if they are even something someone would buy. I'm really worried that if I sell one, someone may complain and return it.  I have sold merchandise on ebay for a few years and I think that process scarred me a little. Any who, please give feedback if you're up to it.

Photos can be found 

Here , Here , and Here 

Time to get out and sell a few.

Sell them they are beautiful. If you do get a return so be it. You can't please everybody, just sell it to someone else. I think your straps are beautiful and very saleable. 

Get over your fear, you made a great product. 

Get busy and start selling. Those are great.

Thank you all.  I think I am going to give it a go then.  I appreciate the feedback.  Fingers crossed.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, Jholden0 said:

I'm really worried that if I sell one, someone may complain and return it.  I have sold merchandise on ebay for a few years and I think that process scarred me a little.

Same experience though not via eBay. My takeaway was I needed to hone my skills more before pushing out a product, but along the way I still sold products that I was comfortable with to cover cost. I also offered to make free products for ppl who bought my subpar products earlier. When they see the difference, they go WOW.

It’s really hard to rework a bad reputation and win back disgruntled clients. It’s easier to maintain an operation with good and consistent QC.

Not saying your straps are subpar, but I think you’ll see some resistance. Check out some higher end production contents, pay for some courses even, it’ll be good investment.

can someone post the pics in the forum ?

work computer blocks the pop up =/

On 7/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, Jholden0 said:

I'm really worried that if I sell one, someone may complain and return it. 

That's a legitimate concern. The craftsmanship is okay, but the look is not very sophisticated.

Just to show some more recent straps, I'm posting this photo.  I started doing a little more stitching.  I've also done some padded type straps that I can post later.  Thank you all for your feedback so far.  I actually posted a few to Etsy and on Reddit sales groups based on your suggestions and honesty.  Thank you all!

20210723_145404.jpg

22 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That's a legitimate concern. The craftsmanship is okay, but the look is not very sophisticated.

Do you mind offering any suggestions on how to make them more "sophisticated?" It would be greatly appreciated.  

20210624_183200.jpg

20210624_183157.jpg

1 hour ago, Jholden0 said:

Do you mind offering any suggestions on how to make them more "sophisticated?" It would be greatly appreciated.  

First off, my comments are intended to provide you with helpful feedback, so no offence intended.

Since watchstraps are so tiny, everything you do must be "perfect."

• Only use the highest quality leather. Anything less is not your friend.
  • Some of the edges look very rough. You want a more finished look.
  • The edge finish should not bleed onto the surface of the leather.
  • The holes for the buckle's tongue should be clean and uniform.
  • Some of the stitching is out of alignment with the edge. 
  • Some of the thread is too heavy.
  • Exotic leathers can fight with the design.

Hope that helps.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

No offense taken.  I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't looking for honest feedback.  There are a few more questions I want to ask in response though.  I only use .45 waxed round poly or linen thread.  I have been unable to find anything smaller. Do you have a suggestion for thread?

As to the quality of leather, all of these straps, were made from the following tanneries: Badalassi Carlo,  Walpier, La Perla Azzurra, Horween, Sedgwick, Wicket and Craig and La Bretagna.  I have been told these were decent quality leather tanneries.  What should I use and what should I look for when selecting leather for watch  straps? 

I use only veg tan so I can totally understand the finishing of the edges.  These are kind of inconsistent.  I tend to forget to burnish the keepers and the strap pin bar holes.  However, the edges are not finished other than burnishing.  Some of the leather used is the white waxed "fog"  or "ghost" leather from Walpier.  It is supposed to give the leather a faux rustic look as the finish scratches off with wear to reveal a much more vivid color of leather.  

I take no offense to any criticism. I wouldn't even call myself a novice and couldn't even hold a candle to many of the skill sets of members of this forum. I appreciate any advice or criticism you can give.

20210724_013113.jpg

20210724_013116.jpg

Is this closer to what you meant?  This is one I made Monday.  

20210724_013136.jpg

Apart from the missing buckle it looks perfect to me. But what does water do to veg tanned watch straps? That would be my main concern.

Actually, not just water, also, and more importantly, sweat. I once made a watch strap from silk - not a good idea...

The liner is Zermatt from Haas.   So I guess it's possible that it is not fully Veg tan leather.  Not sure what process they use.

Edited by Jholden0

It seems that Zermatt is mineral tanned?  Which I have never heard of.

I think it's similar to, or the same as chrome-tanned. In any case, it's not veg tanned, so for heaven's sake, don't advertise your straps as veg tanned. That would be grounds for return.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

First off, my comments are intended to provide you with helpful feedback, so no offence intended.

Since watchstraps are so tiny, everything you do must be "perfect."

• Only use the highest quality leather. Anything less is not your friend.
  • Some of the edges look very rough. You want a more finished look.
  • The edge finish should not bleed onto the surface of the leather.
  • The holes for the buckle's tongue should be clean and uniform.
  • Some of the stitching is out of alignment with the edge. 
  • Some of the thread is too heavy.
  • Exotic leathers can fight with the design.

Hope that helps.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Excellent comment.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:56 AM, Jholden0 said:

It seems that Zermatt is mineral tanned?  Which I have never heard of.

Neither have I. Found this at britannica.com.

"Mineral tanning, which uses mineral salts, produces a soft, pliable leather and is the preferred method for producing most light leathers. Use of this method can shorten the tanning period to days or even hours. Chromium salt is the most widely used mineral agent, but salts from aluminum and zirconium are also used. In mineral tanning the hides are soaked in saline baths of increasing strength or in acidic baths in which chemical reactions deposit salts in the skin fibers."

Because of the use of chromium salt, some might consider a leather given this treatment to be considered chrome tanned, but that being said, combination tanning where the leather is both veg tanned and chrome tanned is fairly common when there is a need to resist moisture, such as with latigo leather.