Sign in to follow this  
AlizabethThomas

Shoe finisher dust collection bag material

I bought a sutton jack sander for my shoe repair and shoe making operation. The seller didn't have the bags with it when I picked it up, and the ones that went with it,  he said needed the elastic replaced anyway. I know where i can buy them for a couple hundred bucks for a set (there are (5) 60" tubes that hang from hooks in the back) but i know I can also make some pretty fast and have elastic already. I am requesting that anyone who has made a dust collector bag with attention to detail could suggest something with the best filtration. I bought some fireproof fabric for a jack sander i was going to build, but I can see fairly large pinholes in the light with that material, and i don't have enough of it for this set of bags. I seem to remember the old chalkboard eraser cleaner in the janitor's closet we had the privilege of using a couple times in elementary school having a twill fabric dust bag, same with my mom's ancient dirt devil vacuum cleaner. I am looking for the best combination of durability and filtration, though I am also tempted to just use whatever and surround the bag system with fine furnace filters. Having seen some videos of equipment dealers and the back sides of some of those machines and their bags, I am really hoping someone has a source for the special fabric. I have an older jack sander that has an almost fleece material on the filter bag. The machine is so old I'm not sure if it is original. 

Edited by AlizabethThomas

Can´t really help but maybe a filter sack from a wood working dust collector is an idea.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

Try duda energy fabric or google 1 micron fabric 

The material on mine is heavy felt fabric. The fleece material is not a bad idea. The nice bags are made out of felt and cheap bags are made out cotton canvas.

Rubber doesn't need much dust collection. It is heavy enough that it doesn't make it into the bag. But you definitely need it for leather soles or foam.

The bags get pretty nasty. The combination of fresh glue and leather makes the bags like a big  discarded tissue full of snot.