Zozo

Hi! Alcohol lamp help

What is the best fuel for the alcohol lamp? Is it ethylene alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, or methanol alcohol, or denatured alcohol? I’m using it specifically to heat an edge creaser. I don’t know how many types of alcohol there is to burn but I guess as far as “best” im probably looking for which burns the hottest and which burn time is the longest and which is safest to use indoors. 

here is the lamp I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XWD9WWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZVT3RMMCKH3TR6SMK157?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

10 minutes ago, Zozo said:

What is the best fuel for the alcohol lamp? Is it ethylene alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, or methanol alcohol, or denatured alcohol? I’m using it specifically to heat an edge creaser. I don’t know how many types of alcohol there is to burn but I guess as far as “best” im probably looking for which burns the hottest and which burn time is the longest and which is safest to use indoors. 

here is the lamp I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XWD9WWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZVT3RMMCKH3TR6SMK157?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

from the google search on "best fuel for alcohol lamp".  "The two best, least expensive fuels for the alcohol lamps are denatured ethanol (ethyl alcohol; grain alcohol), and methanol (methyl alcohol; wood alcohol; methylated spirit)".

I personally use denatured or everclear in my pack stove, any alcohol burner is very dangerous because alcohol burns with no visible flame so you may not see it on fire until to late. I once dropped an alcohol burner on my carpet when i was a kid all you could see was brown burn spots forming and getting bigger with no flame at all it was scary because i couldn't see the flames to put them out.

I use 90% isopropyl in my burner.

- Bill

On 7/14/2021 at 1:11 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I once dropped an alcohol burner on my carpet when i was a kid all you could see was brown burn spots forming and getting bigger with no flame at all it was scary because i couldn't see the flames to put them out.

Oh wow that is a scary though! But thanks for help!