WalterF

Cowboy Checkbook Cover Critiques Welcomed

Worked on a Cowboy Checkbook Cover from a Jim Linnell pattern. Looking for Critiques and suggestions on things to improve. Figure carving is a challenge of mine that I am working on improving. In the end I would like to start custom making items for others if my work is up to par.

Thank you for looking and responding.

WaltDSC01519.thumb.jpg.1672b407ef3b6367e83836fbfd968253.jpgDSC01520.thumb.jpg.480f1ff74cfc91e0ad89a63f0f854c0d.jpg

I"m far from being any critic, just loving on the art work.  Very well done.  What size thread is that?

9 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I"m far from being any critic, just loving on the art work.  Very well done.  What size thread is that?

Thank you, the thread is 92.

Very cool

i like the work the only thing i see that distracts a bit are the feet marks of your machine.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i like the work the only thing i see that distracts a bit are the feet marks of your machine.

Agreed not my favorite either. 

like the western rustic look really good.............I would think hand sewing with heavier waxed thread would enhance the look

:17:  Other than agreeing with what Blackjack21 said, I think it's great.

Edited by tsunkasapa

On 7/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, Blackjack21 said:

like the western rustic look really good.............I would think hand sewing with heavier waxed thread would enhance the look

Handsewn would be better no marks then, plus larger thread.

22 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

:17:  Other than agreeing with what Blackjack21 said, I think it's great.

Thank you

Kind of have to agree with the thread being at least a size up.  But the work is spot on, dude!

On 7/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, WalterF said:

Worked on a Cowboy Checkbook Cover from a Jim Linnell pattern. Looking for Critiques and suggestions on things to improve. Figure carving is a challenge of mine that I am working on improving. In the end I would like to start custom making items for others if my work is up to par.

Thank you for looking and responding.

Walt

I really like what you have done and wanted to ask you a couple questions about the figure carving. I am trying to learn more about figure carving myself and how to create depth, or the illusion of depth. I notice the background behind the floral carving is dark, but not the figure. Is that just because you didn't want the front to be that dark? It is hard to tell if you dyed the floral background or if you just antiqued the whole thing. So I am curious what did you do? I really like how you have his hand behind the gun on his hip. That is great. I also really like the way the brim of his hat appears to stick out closer than the side of his head. Nice work.

Edited by spacedog

On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, spacedog said:

I really like what you have done and wanted to ask you a couple questions about the figure carving. I am trying to learn more about figure carving myself and how to create depth, or the illusion of depth. I notice the background behind the floral carving is dark, but not the figure. Is that just because you didn't want the front to be that dark? It is hard to tell if you dyed the floral background or if you just antiqued the whole thing. So I am curious what did you do? I really like how you have his hand behind the gun on his hip. That is great. I also really like the way the brim of his hat appears to stick out closer than the side of his head. Nice work.

Hi thank you. the whole thing was antiqued, If you look up Jim Linnell Elk Tracks Studio he has great teaching videos. He is very down to earth and his style is very easy to learn from. It might be worth your time. Hope this helps.