swortsoul

Finishing laser engraved leather

Hey all

I bought s laser engraver and am figuring out how to engrave on leather. I’m engraving veg tan before any dying or finishing. Any thoughts on how I should finish it? I was thinking about dying it after the engraving, then using antique. Any help would be appreciated. 

When I was playing with the LE, i wouild dampen a paper towel and dab off the char, each time turning to a clean part of the towel.  Once done, I let it dry, then coated in neatsfoot only, and that I dabbed on gently.  Otherwise, there will be some char that is spread around (one can't get it all with the paper towel).  When I tried applying dye, it really hid and smeared the edges of the engraving.  Some may have better luck, but I played it safe based on my experience.

My usual routine is to dye first (lighter colors to get more contrast), then engrave and finish last with bag kote or resolene. This is my routine for making patches.

Haven’t tried antiquing a laser project, but I would try a test piece that is dyed and resisted first. Have the laser engrave, and  burn away the resist which should hopefully create mask to allow the engraving to absorb the antique and wipe away from unwanted areas. 

For color filled projects, I apply masking tape (vinyl free) to my project, engrave, airbrush and then apply a finish. 

Edited by Nikos69

Nikos, what sort of masking tape do you use? 

I've tried vinyl transfer paper (this is actually made of paper not vinyl, it's used for vinyl transferring hence the name), two different types of masking tape, and the adhesive paper that goes in the bottom of drawers and shelves, and I can't find any that will adhere well enough to survive the engraving process in good enough condition for airbrushing afterwards. 

Can you share any advice on this issue? 

1 hour ago, mchaney2003 said:

I take a slightly different approach. I apply a coat of Easy Braiding Soap to the surface of the leather that I want to engrave. I smear this creamy concoction over the surface, and during the engraving process it picks up most of the soot. Then I take a piece of cardstock and scrape it off before cleaning with either Leather New Foam saddle soap or Lexol Leather Cleaner. Mine is not a perfect solution,  and would not be recommended for all types of leather, but it sure works for me and most of my chrome-tanned leathers.

Easy Braiding Soap Recipe.pdf

Edited by LatigoAmigo

10 hours ago, mchaney2003 said:

Nikos, what sort of masking tape do you use? 

I've tried vinyl transfer paper (this is actually made of paper not vinyl, it's used for vinyl transferring hence the name), two different types of masking tape, and the adhesive paper that goes in the bottom of drawers and shelves, and I can't find any that will adhere well enough to survive the engraving process in good enough condition for airbrushing afterwards. 

I use a low tack crepe tape mask (found on Amazon) which doesn't leave a glue residue behind when removed. Since it's low tack, make sure it's first applied very well to the leather surface by rubbing it -- fingers, bone folder, microfiber rag, etc. 

Laser settings are just enough to remove / cut through the crepe mask cleanly. I'm not looking for a deep engrave because the paint looks better when on the grain. The crepe mask may come loose at few places while airbrushing... just pay attention and press it back when it does. I reduce the paint and apply multiple coats to build up the pigments slowly. Too much paint applied quickly will result in a tacky finish. 

Thanks for the feedback!

On 7/18/2021 at 11:48 AM, swortsoul said:

Hey all

I bought s laser engraver and am figuring out how to engrave on leather. I’m engraving veg tan before any dying or finishing. Any thoughts on how I should finish it? I was thinking about dying it after the engraving, then using antique. Any help would be appreciated. 

Best I have found so far...is dye if you want then follow this with a few coats of clear sealer the laser engrave. This leaves almost NO char to clean up. After a quick clean and wipe I recoat again with a couple more clear seal coats and maybe a polish. Example here- https://wildharry.com.au/collections/stubby-and-drink-leather-coolers/products/stubby-coolers-made-from-leather-with-laser-engraved-dad

Brian - that is a great website you put together - congratulations!

Gary

12 hours ago, garypl said:

Brian - that is a great website you put together - congratulations!

Gary

Thanks @garypl I am still trying to find time to put some stuff into the Maker supplies section. Got heaps of stuff but trying to match up every thing with video's is a massive job to say the least. One you could be interested in is this narrow dog foot and needle plate for the CB4500 which I intend to do a better video showing how you can get to less than 1/8" from the edge which makes it great for wallets and other stuff like that. This one shows a bit on the advantages - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83lCJe4JKo

This is still in the development stages a little but some are ready to go now.