So a friend asked me to make a shotgun shell pouch for his girlfriend, and I just finished this.  A couple of hiccups along the way.  

My first attempt at carving the name ended up crooked and I didn’t want to trash the front panel that I had spent a few hours carving, so I decided to put her name on a separate piece of leather and try to make it look like I did it on purpose by using contrasting leather and white thread.  She loves the look!  

Other mistake I made is that I didn’t put more bar grounding around the leaves.  In hindsight, I think they would have stood out better, especially the lower right carving.  Good news is that I had freedom to design anyway I wanted, so they didn’t really have any expectations on design.

I used Wickett & Craig 7-8 oz Russet veg tan for the main sections of the case.  For the gussets I used some 1-2 oz chrome tan I had laying around and I doubled it up because it felt a little too light and I was concerned about strength of the gussets.  I always struggle sewing the gussets on pouches and try to use the lightest leather that will hold up to the job.  Sewed everything on my CB4500 using 207 bonded nylon and for the double layer gussets I used 69 thread on my Consew 206.  Manually sewed reinforcements at the top of the gussets for extra strength.

Finished the front panel with Mop N Glo and the rest of the pouch was sealed with my homemade leather balm.  Edges dyed and then I added a coat of Giardini black edge paint.

On to the next project!

Gary

F08278F4-78B9-4718-9203-C296D20383AB.jpeg
5A4F6558-7C7A-4FE4-BB0A-05018EACD06F.jpeg

C3A68993-34A6-4C22-A3CD-AE010E1DB7DC.jpeg

EF1C5A70-8321-4AEA-80C4-67EF48EA74E5.jpeg

Edited by garypl
Typo

Wow awesome indeed!

That looks good to me. Can't even tell there was a save involved.

If you had not mentioned that the name was crooked, it sure looks as though you intended it to be this way from the beginning. 

I second the awesomeness!

Thanks for your comments Chuck, Battlemunky and rleather!  

One of my mistakes was when I initially carved the name directly onto the front panel and it was crooked.  Rather than start over, I decided to put the name on the extra piece and sew that to the front panel.  I also made a set of gussets and decided they were too narrow, so had to redo the gussets.  Got to create fixes and most of the time the maker is the only person who would ever know!

Gary