Smooooth

Champion Model 11 Splitter question(s)

Acquired the following 4 pieces of equipment - right place, right time, good network of friends and informants............

Landis 5 in 1

Landis 3 in 1

Landis Model 30 (not sure) Splitter

and the Champion Model 11 Splitter.

Cannot seem to find much on the Model 11 - just mainly the Model 10.  The picture shows it with the knife removed.  Appears to be complete with no visible damage.  I am seriously considering doing a tear down deep clean, etc.  Anytime the words Champion and Splitter are in the same sentence all I seem to get are Log Splitters.

Does anyone have any documentation hidden away somewhere??  My biggest concern, other than trial and error, is setting the knife properly after I get it sharpened.

Not looking to do any painting......    It's got very nice patina.  

Will most likely be selling this one after I look more closely at the Landis 30.  Also probably keep the Landis 3 in 1 and sell off the 5 in 1.

Thank you for your time - truly appreciated.

Stephen

20210718_213449.jpg

Very nice find.

The only splitter documentation I know of for a crank splitter is for the Landis 30, and it is pretty sparse on detailed useable breakdown/reassembly information.

The top lever for the adjustment on the Champion appears to be broken off. Is that correct? If so, those parts don't exist except off another splitter. That is the weak link part for Champions and Americans.  Champions are much less common at least for me than American or Landis, so spare Champion parts just aren't under the rocks I know of. It could be made, but would take a pretty good machinist. 

As far as adjusting the blade, same as the Landis or American - slide forward into the stops, back off a touch so the blades don't rub on the stops,  and tighten everything. 

21 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice find.

Thank You

13 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

The only splitter documentation I know of for a crank splitter is for the Landis 30, and it is pretty sparse on detailed useable breakdown/reassembly information.

The top lever for the adjustment on the Champion appears to be broken off. Is that correct? If so, those parts don't exist except off another splitter. That is the weak link part for Champions and Americans.  Champions are much less common at least for me than American or Landis, so spare Champion parts just aren't under the rocks I know of. It could be made, but would take a pretty good machinist. 

As far as adjusting the blade, same as the Landis or American - slide forward into the stops, back off a touch so the blades don't rub on the stops,  and tighten everything. 

Thank you

13 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I am still having a problem finding good reference pictures to be able to answer your question.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh..............................................

call Shoe System Plus in New York or Gateway Shoe in Illinois.  Both are shoe Repair machine companies.  They should have manuals on these machines.

glenn