andy184

Pfaff 1245 timing belt replacement?

Hi all,

what a great forum and source of knowledge. I was hoping to get some advice on how to replace the timing belt for a Pfaff 1245-706/47. Unfortunately, there are no visible marks or arrows on the drive shafts. I found great hook timing and foot adjustment videos on youtube but the timing belt remains a mystery. Perhaps there are instructions for a machine of similar design I could follow for this procedure...

Thanks guys.

Edited by andy184

There’s nothing to synchronize on this machine when you replace the belt on a Pfaff 1245. You’ll just have to adjust hook timing after replacing the belt. 

This  machine design has feed motion driven via cams located on the main (top) shaft. Replacing the belt does not change feed timing, it will only change hook timing.  If you remove the belt, then needle and feed motion are unchanged, just the hook no longer rotates.

The Pfaff 1245 manual  provides details on various adjustments, including hook timing. 

Edited by Uwe

On 7/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Uwe said:

There’s nothing to synchronize on this machine when you replace the belt on a Pfaff 1245. You’ll just have to adjust hook timing after replacing the belt. 

This  machine design has feed motion driven via cams located on the main (top) shaft. Replacing the belt does not change feed timing, it will only change hook timing.  If you remove the belt, then needle and feed motion are unchanged, just the hook no longer rotates.

The Pfaff 1245 manual  provides details on various adjustments, including hook timing. 

Thanks Uwe, you are always an inspiration and big help to the community. Before, I had a Juki LU-562 and followed your hook-timing and adjustment videos to the T. Always love your professional-looking presentations! Thank you again.

8 minutes ago, andy184 said:

Thanks Uwe, you are always an inspiration and big help to the community. Before, I had a Juki LU-562 and followed your hook-timing and adjustment videos to the T. Always love your professional-looking presentations! Thank you again.

1+ well said.  Much agreed!