RBaechle

Small item tools

So I thought I posted this question the other night but I guess it never went through, or least I cant find it. 

I have some basic tools and currently use Tandy 3mm diamond chisels.  I would like to start on wallets and smaller stuff but feel these will be to large of holes.  Any recommendations on what I should be looking into?  Also my tool use experience is limited (I've only done 3 projects and one was a kit), are the expensive tools worth the investment?  

17 minutes ago, RBaechle said:

are the expensive tools worth the investment?  

Last first. Yes, undoubtly but imo, not until you have gained some experience. Cheap tools will get you going, then buy the expensive ones when you're sure you'll use them

I use these pliers type sewing holes punches. They do 2mm diamond holes at 2mm spacing. They are good for general sewing. Available in 4-tooth as per photo and 2-tooth for going around curves

Stitching pliers, 01s.JPG

Tandy have two types of stitching chisels, which do you have?  --

Craftool have round handles and a black finish; Craftool Pro have flat handles and a silver finish..................Craftool measure the distance between the sides of the prongs, so the distance between the points if about 1mm more than that, so 3mm is about 4mm and so on, and the prongs are a bit bulky..........Craftool Pro measure the distance between the points, which is more usual, and the prongs are a bit finer

Try out the chisels you already have, whatever they are, and see how you go from there. If they are the Craftool you might want to change, but if they are the Craftool Pro you can stay with them for a while. Remember that the hole these sort of chisels make is actually a slit, and will close up after you've flattened the stitching

Top end chisels include Amy Roke, Crimson Hide, and KS Blade; they will obviously do a good job, but are undoubtedly expensive. Get some experience with what you have, they you'll be in a better position to choose, and maybe avoid an expensive mistake

Rulers are used both for measuring and cutting, get a good one

Some of the best needles are John James Saddler's Harness needles item code L3912 - size 002 for general leatherwork and size 004 for finer work like wallets. They're not too expensive, so you could get both. 

For general leatherwork use 0,6mm dia thread, for finer try going down to 0,45mm dia. Ritza 25 is popular; it has a picture of a tiger on the label so it is sometimes called Tiger Thread. It is usually sold in full reels which makes it expensive to buy into, but some suppliers, such as Rocky Mountain Leather Supply rewind it into shorter lengths. I like the Chinese Yue Fung thread, which is sold by RMLS under their own label Twist RMLS also sell JJ needles

Edge bevelers are sized by the width of the tiny blade at the tip, typically on a scale of 0,1,2 and so on. However, there is no common standard, each manufacturer has their own idea, so the only way to get a decent gradation is to stay with one maker, which is not a bad idea anyway. For wallets you need a small size, but eventually build up a range, and learn to sharpen them, there are videos

I notice that Tandy have started selling Since tools, which are worth considering, and their edge bevelers look good, though I haven't used them myself

Are expensive tools worth the money? That question is asked here frequently, and ultimately only you can decide, but if you can afford the money it is worth getting good quality tools. Get some experience with cheaper tools, and you'll be in a better position to make that decision. Also watch videos on the items you'd like to make, and you'll see how other people do things, and the tools they use

17 hours ago, zuludog said:

Thank you for the info.  I do have the the round handle Craftool from Tandy currently that are 3mm and they work great for what I've used them for but feel they wouldn't do well with finer work.

I think I'm ok for rulers.  I have one 12" one 36" and a 12" carpenters square, all metal with added cork backing.  I'm also working on converting myself ack into metric since everything seems to be measured in metric and not SAE for leatherwork.

I just have the cheapo Tandy needles that were like $3 for 10, again they work good for what I've use hem for but I'll look into the ones you mentioned.  Same goes for the thread, whatever was cheapest was what I have for now.

As far as edge beveler I have one of these https://tandyleather.com/collections/tools/products/8077-50-keen-edge-beveler-4-1-set I have no complaints seems to do the trick.

My biggest thing is I bought one of these https://tandyleather.com/collections/tools/products/craftool-poly-maul and I hate it.  The mallet that came with the cheap tooling kit from Amazon is much better and I'm thinking of investing in a Barry King.  the mallet is the one thing I've noticed that I absolutely hate.

17 hours ago, zuludog said:

Tandy have two types of stitching chisels, which do you have?  --

Craftool have round handles and a black finish; Craftool Pro have flat handles and a silver finish..................Craftool measure the distance between the sides of the prongs, so the distance between the points if about 1mm more than that, so 3mm is about 4mm and so on, and the prongs are a bit bulky..........Craftool Pro measure the distance between the points, which is more usual, and the prongs are a bit finer

Try out the chisels you already have, whatever they are, and see how you go from there. If they are the Craftool you might want to change, but if they are the Craftool Pro you can stay with them for a while. Remember that the hole these sort of chisels make is actually a slit, and will close up after you've flattened the stitching

Top end chisels include Amy Roke, Crimson Hide, and KS Blade; they will obviously do a good job, but are undoubtedly expensive. Get some experience with what you have, they you'll be in a better position to choose, and maybe avoid an expensive mistake

Rulers are used both for measuring and cutting, get a good one

Some of the best needles are John James Saddler's Harness needles item code L3912 - size 002 for general leatherwork and size 004 for finer work like wallets. They're not too expensive, so you could get both. 

For general leatherwork use 0,6mm dia thread, for finer try going down to 0,45mm dia. Ritza 25 is popular; it has a picture of a tiger on the label so it is sometimes called Tiger Thread. It is usually sold in full reels which makes it expensive to buy into, but some suppliers, such as Rocky Mountain Leather Supply rewind it into shorter lengths. I like the Chinese Yue Fung thread, which is sold by RMLS under their own label Twist RMLS also sell JJ needles

Edge bevelers are sized by the width of the tiny blade at the tip, typically on a scale of 0,1,2 and so on. However, there is no common standard, each manufacturer has their own idea, so the only way to get a decent gradation is to stay with one maker, which is not a bad idea anyway. For wallets you need a small size, but eventually build up a range, and learn to sharpen them, there are videos

I notice that Tandy have started selling Since tools, which are worth considering, and their edge bevelers look good, though I haven't used them myself

Are expensive tools worth the money? That question is asked here frequently, and ultimately only you can decide, but if you can afford the money it is worth getting good quality tools. Get some experience with cheaper tools, and you'll be in a better position to make that decision. Also watch videos on the items you'd like to make, and you'll see how other people do things, and the tools they use

You have a decent set of kit already, but here are a few comments -

See how you go with the Craftool chisels; if you decide to change consider the Craftool Pro, which Tandy list as Fine Diamond, or the Tandy Pro by Since

You can improve the Craftool by polishing the prongs with fine abrasive paper, say about 600 grit wet & dry, there are YT videos. Lubricate the prongs a few times with beeswax as you use them, and hold down the leather with a small block of wood as you pull them out.

Tandy needles have large eyes, in fact they are often called Tandy Big Eye Needles - OK for thicker thread and leather, but I would seriously think about changing to the JJ needles and better thread; though I notice that Tandy sell 0,6mm Tiger thread in shorter lengths. Most people try a few types of thread before settling on what they like, and soon build up a collection. It wouldn't be too expensive to get the JJ needles and a few lengths of Tiger & Twist thread

If you're happy with the edge bevelers fair enough, but you could try sharpening them. Search YT for 'sharpening an edge beveler'

As for the mallets & mauls, I think most people have bought things then found they didn't like them and had to change. It's all part of the fun!

If you haven't done so already, get a round/scratch awl, they're cheap enough. It is used for various poking & prodding jobs in leatherwork, including temporarily stretching the stitching holes, which will close up again when you've finished sewing

Edited by zuludog