Sign in to follow this  
Handstitched

Piping Feet Seiko STW 28 B / Consew 226

G'Day ,  I am soon to recover some leather cushions, with piping. I have done re-covers, upholstery,   repairs etc.  before, but not with piping. After a quick search, I found a piping feet set, but just need to find out from the more experienced on here,  if they they will fit my Seiko  STW 28 B ? ( I only use it as a single needle, in case you're wondering :) )

https://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/shop/buy-accessories/presser-foot-set/piping-feet/compound-feed-walking-foot-piping-foot-sets.html

This is my regular supplier of sewing machine stuff . 

It does mention 226R .  I often use a 226 manual as a reference as I can never find  STW 28 B manual. Alternatively , I could just get a right hand presser foot. 

Thanks,  :specool:

HS

It looks like a standard Singer 111/211 walking foot but at a very high price not even gold plated. check out Amazon or eBay far better prices and most china versions offer a good fit in my experience

Gday HS,

As mentioned by chrisash, best place for presser feet is Amazon or eBay. I buy mine for my Consew 256 from  these guys:

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/kunpengsewingmachineparts-for-au?ul_noapp=true

So far I've bought piping feet, steel bobbins, and edge guides from them. Shipping to Sydney takes about two weeks from China but the prices are very competitive and I haven't found any quality issues. Would prefer to buy locally made and sourced parts but when the price is three times less it's hard to justify.

Sewing Machines Australia are very good (I buy Coats thread from them and their price and delivery speed is great) but the price of their presser feet is off the planet.

Cheers

Edited by oztraveller

G'Day and thanks for the replies.

@oztraveller  & @chrisash 

SMA have been my go dealer for many years, always helpful, and where I get my thread too,  but I hear ya about the price.  It really needs to fit, bolt straight on, , and I don't want to fiddle about making any mods. This machine has been brilliant,  ( touch wood) and I don't want to stuff it up.

And  I just want to bolt  the original  feet straight back on when I've finished the job. 

HS 

Update: 

The  piping foot set for my machine wont fit.  Got a reply from Sewing Machines Australia ( Queensland) 

"The compound feed piping foot set is not suitable for your twin needle machine due to the offset on both needles regardless of only one needle in use. There is not a piping foot available for your twin needle machine either. If you wanted to use this piping foot set, you would need a single needle machine. "

Bugger !!!  I'm not buying a single needle machine just for one job. Glad I didn't just buy the foot set .  Starting to see the disadvantage of having a twin needle machine . 

Where to from here ? I'll just stare at my machine for about an hour or so  until I get a ' light bulb' moment  :dunno: 

One thing I do have , is a Pfaff 60 , with a zipper foot ( RH half foot) that has sewn upholstery leather before, but not sure about 4 layers though. .  The test laboratory is open  :) Watch this space I guess...perhaps for expletives ? 

HS

Your dealer is right. You cannot use singe needle piping foot set on a double needle machine! You can try to modify a foot set but that requires cutting and welding / brazing. Maybe a cheap drop feed machine will work better. Like Juki 127, 555 or a Singer 31K, 331K, 95K, 96K or the like. Accessories are rather cheap for these machine. You sometimes can buy industrial plain drop feed machines for a bargain but depends on your sewing machine market...

Note the list of machines in the description:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143446313333

Edited by Constabulary

@Constabulary I've got it sussed, have a look . :specool:

Using some scrap upholstery  leather, I managed to sew a ' simulated' piping ( nylon cord) , and you can see the clearance  of the presser foot in the 2nd pic . Learn something new every day.  I'll be using 3-4 mm piping. 

My Pfaff  60 was able to sew 4 layers , but it struggled a tiny  bit,  2 layers  sews just fine, and it's a LH zipper foot I have, not a RH. It may have been " passable" . I still have the original twin needle feet. 

O'h well , fingers crossed. 

HS

Sewing piping Seiko STW 28B 003.jpg

Sewing piping Seiko STW 28B 005.jpg

Sewing piping Seiko STW 28B 006.jpg

Sewing piping Seiko STW 28B 004.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Just glad I didn't continue pursuing piping feet for my machine. The leather, for the cushions, originally made in 1984, ,   is no longer  available anyway, found out this arvo.  

O'h well ...moving on...

HS