swortsoul

Laser engraving leather stamps

I didn't see there was a 3D Printers and Lasers forum. I'll post this here.

Does anyone use a laser engraver to make leather stamps? I know some have said they use 3D printers, but I only have an engraver. I've read about using a laser to cut acrylic stamps.

If so, can you share some details? Power of your laser. Machine settings. Materials. etc?

Thanks

On 7/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, swortsoul said:

I've read about using a laser to cut acrylic stamps.

I would check the source of that. I have been using a 100 watt laser for a few years now, and here is my opinion on the matter: Acrylic templates? Yes. Acrylic leather stamps? No.

I've seen people make stamps using 1/4" acrylic with good results. Every laser machine is different so the engraving parameters are not going to be much help.

You're better off doing a test swatch -- this way, you'll see which settings on your machine will give you the best results.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

I would check the source of that. I have been using a 100 watt laser for a few years now, and here is my opinion on the matter: Acrylic templates? Yes. Acrylic leather stamps? No.

I"ve seen a few things online where others are using lasers for leather stamps. Delrin seems to be the preferred acrylic. I don't know if my laser will do it or not, but I'll give it a go.

I'm glad you mentioned templates. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll be trying that out too. I have just been using the laser to engrave, mark cut lines, and then actually cut out 1-2oz leather. The edges get burnt, but I'm cutting a few mm outside the marked cut lines as a seem allowance anyway, so the burnt edges go away. Working ok for the thin leather.

1 hour ago, swortsoul said:

Delrin seems to be the preferred acrylic.

I tried cutting a piece of derlin once, but I didn't find it laser friendly.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:21 AM, swortsoul said:

I"ve seen a few things online where others are using lasers for leather stamps. Delrin seems to be the preferred acrylic. I don't know if my laser will do it or not, but I'll give it a go.

I'm glad you mentioned templates. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll be trying that out too. I have just been using the laser to engrave, mark cut lines, and then actually cut out 1-2oz leather. The edges get burnt, but I'm cutting a few mm outside the marked cut lines as a seem allowance anyway, so the burnt edges go away. Working ok for the thin leather.

With a laser, you can cut to exact dimensions since the pieces should mate up perfectly if they’re designed correctly. If the stitch holes are vectored, I don"t even need to use glue.

@swortsoul I just started playing with the glowforge. If that is what you have, let me know and I can walk you through the setting I used.

@LatigoAmigo Thanks for this, it's perfect. I'm curious how he's cutting 10mm thick acrylic. I've just ordered some much thinner that I hope to engrave, cut, and then attach to something, probably a wooden dowel.

His mod of adding the fan is very interesting. It might answer one thing that has been bugging me. I'll sometimes see cuts work very well on the bottom left, but on the top right, they seem to not go as well. I wonder if that has something to do with burn time and overheating? Will have to look at that. Plus his enclosure puts mine to shame. :)

@PastorBob Thanks, but I have a FoxAlien LE-4040 Reiser. Something like that. I found the videos on making test patterns which has been very helpful. I suppose I'll just do the same on the acrylic.

Thanks all

I have no problem cutting derlin for stamps.@swortsoul. 60 watt laser 65% power 350mmps , basically cut away the background