John D

Pfaff 545 bobbin case opener jams the catch hook

The following diagram is for a Pfaff 1245 but I'm using it to illustrate my issue with a Pfaff 545. When rotating the wheel movement stops as the part labeled #1 in the diagram jams with part #3. This freezes the movement of the bobbin carriage and the loop catch hook stops moving. When comparing to on-line videos I "think" parts #1 and # should just barely slide beside each other to let the movement continue. I have a post machine and part #1 actually lifts above part #3 to let the loop catch hook continue on its way. 

For the life of me I cannot figure out what needs to be adjusted. Is it a timing issue and I need to slip the gears in the gear box? do I need to adjust the bobbin bed?

Normally I would take this to the shop and fork over the big bucks. But I'm in the middle of sewing canvas and with a deadline . . . 

The Pfaff is brand new to me and is better suited for the work I'm doing as the flat bed is better than the post bed on my other machine. 

Anyhoo - any thoughts on what's going on? I would prefer to not wait a week if it can be helped. 

Thanks!

John 
image.thumb.png.e6402a37315ab377ffe9c92f49ffe372.pngI'

The purpose of part 1 is to rotate the bobbin case to open a space for the thread to pass between locating tab 4 and the notch under the needle plate.

Please post pictures and a video of your own machine so we can evaluate the issue better.

Are you sure #4 is in the notch of the needle plate as shown in the encircled picture? For adjusting the bobbin case opener loosen #2 adjust #1 the way thread keeps not hanging between #1 and #3 and in the gap between #4 and the needle plate (encircled picture) and tighten #2 again. But that should be mentioned in the manual I think.

Video attached. The “clacking” sound you hear is when the two pieces touch. As far as I can tell the noise os from their striking each other. And the entire movement stops cold. If I engage the safety clutch I can move the needle up and down, but the bobbin case stops in the same place.

You have no needle plate installed - never run your machine without needle plate.

Install needle plate and make sure the small tab #4 sits in the gap in the needle plate as show in the encircled picture.

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

You have no needle plate installed - never run your machine without needle plate.

Install needle plate and make sure the small tab #4 sits in the gap in the needle plate as show in the encircled picture.

Thank and yes, never run without the needle plate. I took it off as the action is EXACTLY the same whether in place or not. Here is an image of the tab #4 lining up in the gap in the needle plate. 

I will post a video in a few minute of the same action with the needle plate in place. 

IMG_8400.jpg

I guess you have to adjust the bobbin case opener.

8 hours ago, DanishMan said:

I guess you have to adjust the bobbin case opener.

This was my thinking too. Thought how? I can't seem to find a manual or video, even looking for Pfaff 145 and the Juki 67 (I think it is). 

I'm usually able to internet search my way to learning and am totally stumped. 

Thanks in advance!

The bobbin case opener adjustment is performed by loosening the screw holding the opener. Adjust it so it moves the tab away from the edge of the notch in the needle plate as the thread goes between the tab and the notch. If it is properly adjusted the thread will not hang up or shred.

The 145/545 only has one screw to adjust the bobbin case opener. The 1245 has two, but the principle is the same. This is from the 245/1245 service manual.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 07.43.09.png

Edited by DanishMan

Thank you DanishMan and LindanHotAir.

Loosened the bobbin case opener and was able to reset the gap a week but. But the action is still frozen in place. 

is it possible to have thread or fabric jammed up below the bobbin bed? I see in my notes that I pulled a small 5cm  by 10cm (1” by 2”) piece of cotton fabric out when I removed the plates on the bed. 

Will disassemble later today and check before taking in to the shop. 

yeah - that can happen and often owners do not what to do and sell the machine as broke.

This is what I found on my 107w1 between bobbin case and hook when I received it. The thread and oil have built up to a really compact piece. There were 4 or 5 colors of thread in this thread "cookie". They just did not care about the machine until the bitter end (all of a sudden, of course) and then did not know what to do.

Machine cost me 1€ + shipping back then :lol: Conclusion - better know your machine and be able to help your self.

IMG_4452.thumb.JPG.a739d4ad986f143278b0b32579e42ecb.JPG

IMG_4453.thumb.JPG.8a8895d64de5e0a3b7f90a9b8537ae35.JPG

IMG_4463_1.thumb.JPG.71397da9bc842d16aa07c272eca42589.JPG

IMG_4464.thumb.JPG.b9e5423f92e04d992396ba0384d46e38.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

yeah - that can happen and often owners do not what to do and sell the machine as broke.

This is what I found on my 107w1 between bobbin case and hook when I received it. The thread and oil have built up to a really compact piece. There were 4 or 5 colors of thread in this thread "cookie". They just did not care about the machine until the bitter end (all of a sudden, of course) and then did not know what to do.

Machine cost me 1€ + shipping back then :lol: Conclusion - better know your machine and be able to help your self.

Vielen Danke! Je vous remercie! Thank you so very much everyone! 

Works! Now to reset the upper and lower thread tensions! Thank you so very much!

In case it wasn't clear, the entire catch loop assembly would not budge. As if it was fused together. The root cause was a few things (I think):
1 - 20cm (8") piece of thread wrapped around the bobbin bed post that goes through the hook bed
2 - a crapton of soot build up around the thread, the bobbin bed post, and pretty much everywhere underneath
3 - wrong sized needle (it "worked" but it would create a sloppy loop that would result in jams)
4 - wrong position for the bobbin case opener 

NOTE: I may have some of the parts names wrong. Doing my best from memory and horrible lack of a user's manual. :( 

With the photos and descriptions I decided that just because I could not see the jammed threads, didn't mean they weren't there. The bobbin bed would NOT come out of the loop catch hook assembly. I tried everything and finally had to unwedge it with a carefully placed flathead screwdriver. PING! and I had parts all over my work station.

I inspected them very carefully to make sure nothing was malformed and there were not tool marks, especially screw drivers used as levers. Everything was in excellent condition but covered in a black grit that at first I though was from parts rubbing and creating steel/iron dust. But nothing had wear marks. Unscrewed the hook loop catch bed and found a small piece of thread inside. Pulled off the hook loop assembly and voila! Single piece of black thread wrapped tightly around the post of the bobbin bed. And even more gritty black powder. But it smelled like ash. (What the heck!)

Cleaned everything carefully. Another visual inspection. Verified pieces fit as expected and worked without friction and reset the hook and bobbin case opener gap. Discovered the needle was too short by about 15mm. Replaced it. Caught the thread on the first pass! 

Curious about the soot and grimed asked the previous owner and they said "Oh I use a lighter to burn out the threads! It is why I only purchase metal machines!"

Ran some canvas and leather through the machine for a quick 'check' and it looks like all I need to do is iron out the tensions to get it to work again!

Seriously once again, thank you everyone for the assist!

On 7/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, John D said:

The following diagram is for a Pfaff 1245...
image.thumb.png.e6402a37315ab377ffe9c92f49ffe372.pngI'

Thanks John for posting this diagram!

Does anyone have a part number for the screw shown in above diagram pleasee? It's Marked "2" in diagram. Thank you!

Edited by suzelle

19 hours ago, suzelle said:

Does anyone have a part number for the screw shown in above diagram pleasee? It's Marked "2" in diagram. Thank you!

Uwe helped me with finding correct part # - thanks Uwe! It got ordered! The part number is 91-000699-15