Appaloosa

Shipping an Industrial Machine

I am selling a tabletop Artisan s-335 and have NO idea how to ship it to an interested buyer. What is the best way to ship an industrial machine and what company would be good . I am thinking it will need to be on a pallet so most likely freight shipping. Just never did this before.  Thanks for any advice in advance!

For the head the only way is to do it right and enclose in a strong made for the job plywood box that has no room for movement and take the table down to component's  with a photo of how it all goes together, also boxed

Edited by chrisash

I use heavy double wave carton and on the in inside to each side min. 1.5" stick Styrofoam plates (the thicker the better). Fill all (really ALL) free spaces with cut pieces of the Styrofoam plates the way that the machine cannot move inside the package. I prefer UPS - never had issues with them.

Here is one i sent a couple of months ago which arrived safe... the good thing about the foam is it is strong and light. There is a few more squares of foam under the bags to stop the machine from moving around, then the square on top with the needle bar also stops the machine from moving.20210515_201356.jpg.ab02f437c3d20355ef2bae52750299c9.jpg

20210515_201409.jpg.b7f42807316117360c197f7cc2eeac77.jpg

Edited by jimi

In the U. S. contact a local Fastenal store. I do not know about cost but they can pack and ship for you. 

https://www.fastenal.com/ 

I've been in logistics in my time, where are you sending it? In general, it's wiser to ask a local company to the recipient, because then the only problem's going to be right at the start - local knowledge pays dividends. I was watching a German test DHL last night sending Airtags to North Korea - they werefull of it, but one went to South Korea, the other as far a Peking, where its brother caught up with it, and were blocked because North Korea's stopped imports, ostensibly because of Covid, but really because they're skint. Someone else was trying UPS - and dismantled the logic of their claims system.

I would beware of someone else packing and crating the machine. I paid for packing, crating and shipping of a used machine being sent to me, and all I can say is that I was lucky the damage was as little as it was.

I've been looking at the design philosophy of the machine, and it's not the tender child you think. One description has it almost a pioneer ox-cart machine, easily demountable and quite capable of surviving a wagon trail. Maybe you should discuss a partial disassembly with your customer, if it's truly so simple.

The issue may be that where standard metalwork comes into contact with tank armour (or the equivalent!) a shear point is created which disappears if the normal bits are separated. Left to itself, anything hitting the tough stuff in transit will pay the price: what you don't want is someone using the hefty bits to land on top of the rest. We've all seen it in airports, that's a cello case, let's drop a bag full of golf clubs on it.