MLGilbert

Carved Hat Band Connection

Hi all, my friend ordered a carved hat band for his cowboy hat, and has basically given me free rein on the design. I'll be making it 1/2" wide, and I would like to connect the ends similar to the way the Pedro Pedrini does, where the tongue slips through a small keeper, but without a buckle. Can anyone tell me how he might fasten the ends so it doesn't slip apart? 

Thank you,

Morgan

Edited by MLGilbert
spelling error

One part has a slot . . . the other an arrowhead shape . . . 

Edges of the arrowhead keep if from backing out of theslot . . . and arrowhead is tapered to a zero thickness . . . makes it look nicer than if you didn't skive taper it down.

May God bless,

Dwight

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

One part has a slot . . . the other an arrowhead shape . . . 

Edges of the arrowhead keep if from backing out of theslot . . . and arrowhead is tapered to a zero thickness . . . makes it look nicer than if you didn't skive taper it down.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think I understand, so the tongue is friction fit in the keeper? Thank you Dwight!

6 hours ago, Rahere said:

I daresay a day of glue stiffener doesn't go amiss...

And this contributes what to the conversation.  You were asked to stay on topic.  Please do.

Okay......how DOES that band stay tight?  Is the loop that tight on the strap??https://pedrinisaddleco.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Pedrini-3-1-2000x1333_exhibit_2017-18.jpg

2 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Okay......how DOES that band stay tight?  Is the loop that tight on the strap??https://pedrinisaddleco.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Pedrini-3-1-2000x1333_exhibit_2017-18.jpg

Mike . . . look up front of the loop . . . you'll see what looks to me like 3 stitches . . . 

My guess . . . that is his technique.

May God bless,

Dwight

I thought that too, but his other stitching is much nicer.  I'll check again to see if that is his logo stamp.

God bless

That looks like the TCAA logo to me, but I wonder if there are stitches hidden under the keeper.

I dunno how the maker has dun it but if it was me I'd hide a couple of snaps behind that tongue,.  Actually, maybe two or three half parts of snaps on the tongue and one half (the counter part to the others)  on the strap between the end and the keeper, then the strap can be adjusted a wee bit

Snaps or stitches would limit the expensive hat band to one hat size, or close.  The tongues are long enough to accommodate most hat sizes from the sixes to eights....  I'm thinking a tight loop and simple friction might be the solution.  KISS.....  but who knows.  Pedro knows!

That is true, but for why would you want it adjustable over a large range?

I wear the one size of hat. My different hats' thickness of material only varies but a couple of mm overall. One time I measured around 4 of my hats with the idea of making bands for them. The length of the band around only varied 5mm between the shortest and longest

On 7/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Northmount said:

And this contributes what to the conversation.  You were asked to stay on topic.  Please do.

I believe that this user is saying that a small dab of glue under the tongue keeps it from moving. I agree. That would be the easiest and cleanest way to secure the hand size.
You could also use a small strip of Velcro the make it adjustable without showing.

I mentioned the tight loop because folks who buy his hat bands at a show do not all have the same hat size.  Hat bands must even change a bit in size as the hat ages on the head.

2 hours ago, MikeRock said:

I mentioned the tight loop because folks who buy his hat bands at a show do not all have the same hat size.  Hat bands must even change a bit in size as the hat ages on the head.

yea i dont think he would be stitching them they have to fit varying sizes. My guess is just a real tight loop. I round braided a hat band for myself and used a turks head tightly woven around both ends it doesn't slip a bit but can still be adjusted. Hat bands have very little movement or stress put on them so dont need much IMO.

11 hours ago, TomG said:

I believe that this user is saying that a small dab of glue under the tongue keeps it from moving. I agree. That would be the easiest and cleanest way to secure the hand size.
You could also use a small strip of Velcro the make it adjustable without showing.

I agree and I think a small dab of rubber cement would hold things in place yet allow easy future removal or adjustment.  Rubber cement in an application like this would not be a very strong bond.