Sign in to follow this  
WalterF

First Pattern Drawn

This is my first pattern drawn while taking Don Gonzales course. The bottom flower needs to be bigger, but I wanted to see it carved.

Think it will be kept as a reminder of my starting point. Lots of improvement hoped for but it was fun creating my own design and satisfying.

Suggestions always welcome, and thanks for looking.214851390_538592884007066_6009845913496729831_n.thumb.jpg.7108ed59a974b30e1ca97938a44876ba.jpg

Great start! My only suggestion would be to fill the negative spaces a little more, you don't want alot of background showing, just enough to give it depth, and either run your basketweave up to the pattern or extend the pattern out to the weave so as to not have a bunch of flat leather in between, a border the same size as your edge border snaking across would work as well, keep it up! Sheridan style drawing really takes some practice to get it to fill and flow 

16 hours ago, DustinSmith said:

Great start! My only suggestion would be to fill the negative spaces a little more, you don't want alot of background showing, just enough to give it depth, and either run your basketweave up to the pattern or extend the pattern out to the weave so as to not have a bunch of flat leather in between, a border the same size as your edge border snaking across would work as well, keep it up! Sheridan style drawing really takes some practice to get it to fill and flow 

Thank you, I will try to out your suggestions to use. Harder than it looks when a good artist draws. LOL

Hi  I've been wanting to take the DG course but I'm not a very good online learner.  I did get his flower drawing pamphlet and it was really helpful when I make time to practice -- and it does take lots of practice!  The simplicity of the look of Sheridan artwork deceives the viewer much work goes into making it look smooth and joyful to look at. 

Your basket weave impressions are really nice.  But (to me) the camouflage stamp you used blends in too much with the basket weave 'wheat' that made it look crowded.  I would bevel the top of the artwork so that it has a more distinct line (between the basket weave/camo stamp ) by maybe beveling it to the other side.   But man, keep it up!  

Nice go at it.  A little while back I drew my first after watching Don's course.  I started through it a second time but realize now that I got distracted!  The biggest issue I've found is beveling makes every thing smaller or thinner so draw everything fatter than you think it needs to be.

Scootch

Good point.   Especially those long vine lines that are close together!  But definitely the OP has made admirable on the first attempt.