Rickyjd5

Pfaff 145-h3-6/C LMNP, Good for leatherwork?

I am looking into buying my first sewing machine. I found a Pfaff 145-h3-6/C LMNP for $500 on Facebook. I am having trouble finding information on this machine. Is it good for leatherwork, I mainly work with veg-tan making wallets and clutches. He also has a Singer 111w155, is that a better option? Any information would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Rickyjd5 said:

I am having trouble finding information on this machine.

The PFAFf 145, according to my info, is a compound feed able to handle up to a size #23 needle using 134-35 needles which means max V138 thread, as indicated by the H3 designation in medium to heavy materials. Depending where you live access to parts / accessories tend to be expensive and harder to find then those for Singer or Juki machines.

kgg

This may be of help.

333002241_PFAFFLetteringSystem.png.b612492fe28eb9169334716c852cef2f.png

I really like the one I have, it would be fine for wallets and clutches. Not sure about spare parts being available so check it before buying it. 

Johnny

It is a good machine, as long as the small G style bobbin and standard height foot lift aren't limitations for what you do.  I consider 138 at the upper limit of machines in this class, and they often sew better with 92 weight thread, even when properly tuned.  An H4 version of this machine would get you high lift, with a 190 system needle.  That would enable you to sew thicker leather.  A 545 version of this machine would get you a large M style bobbin.  The price is right on this one though, so if the condition is okay, it might be the one.  

One thing I notice about the Pfaff walking foot machines in general, is the springs and controls are very stiff.  Some people don't like that.  I almost made a 545 H4 my primary machine, but went with a Juki LU-563 converted to a 190 needle system instead.  No regrets, but the Pfaff would have been fine too.