DustinSmith

Please help, why is this happening?

I used some imported veg tan from a reliable source that I've used many times before, dye is medium brown from Fiebings, generously applied olive oil and then a top coat of pro resist also from Fiebings. I dont use this color dye often but it seems that when I do, it just destroys the integrity of the leather, or is it something else im doing? 

20210726_195221.jpg

20210726_195808.jpg

First, why would you use Pro resist as a top coat? It's meant as a dye blocker. My go to for years has been Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom Wax. Rub it in with a cotton tee scrap, front and back. Then flex the leather over something from the front an then the back. I make lots of strap goods and use the rounded edge of my desk or a piece of 1" PVC I have mounted as a rack. It will normally be as limber as spaghetti.
The wrinkles on the back look like fatty deposits. Usually found when using leather near the belly.
The cracks on top are dry leather.
I'd suggest using the Olive Oil for cooking and switch to NFO. It's made primarily for leather.
One neat trick that you can experiment with is add the dye to the oil and adjust for color. It is a technique posted on Fiebings website and worth a try. That way, you are adding the oil back into the leather at the same time as dying.

Unfortunately I was out of tan kote and needed something to protect it, I've done it before when I had to with no side effects, good idea to run the strap over pvc, I bet it gives it a smoother stretch than just using your hands. The reason I use olive oil is 1. Don Gonzales suggested it 2. It gives a more even color than nfo in my opinion and I dont know why the leather would be dry as I really put alot of oil on it. I never thought of adding dye to oil, I will definitely try that! I'll run a handful of test pieces using what you provided and see if it helps, thanks for the reply!

18 minutes ago, TomG said:

First, why would you use Pro resist as a top coat? It's meant as a dye blocker. My go to for years has been Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom Wax. Rub it in with a cotton tee scrap, front and back. Then flex the leather over something from the front an then the back. I make lots of strap goods and use the rounded edge of my desk or a piece of 1" PVC I have mounted as a rack. It will normally be as limber as spaghetti.
The wrinkles on the back look like fatty deposits. Usually found when using leather near the belly.
The cracks on top are dry leather.
I'd suggest using the Olive Oil for cooking and switch to NFO. It's made primarily for leather.
One neat trick that you can experiment with is add the dye to the oil and adjust for color. It is a technique posted on Fiebings website and worth a try. That way, you are adding the oil back into the leather at the same time as dying.

Adding oil back to leather is one thing, and a good idea.  Adding oil to dry leather is a fools errand.  Once it gets brittle it's pretty much game over.  Adding oil to good leather to lengthen it's useful life is a very different thing than trying to rehab dry, brittle leather IMO.    

I've bought pre cut straps when I was in a hurry.  Had some crack and the supplier replaced them for me.  

Somehow you managed to get both bad issues on one belt.  Brittle leather on the front and soft belly leather on the back.  

Hey Dustin. I meant to ask you how you did the playing card design. Is it painted on, some form of heat transfer, or whay?

On 7/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, DustinSmith said:

Unfortunately I was out of tan kote and needed something to protect it, I've done it before when I had to with no side effects, good idea to run the strap over pvc, I bet it gives it a smoother stretch than just using your hands. The reason I use olive oil is 1. Don Gonzales suggested it 2. It gives a more even color than nfo in my opinion and I dont know why the leather would be dry as I really put alot of oil on it. I never thought of adding dye to oil, I will definitely try that! I'll run a handful of test pieces using what you provided and see if it helps, thanks for the reply!

I've only used olive oil for the last several years.  I prefer it over anything else.  Warm it up before application.  I would suspect your leather was toast before you got to it.  

2 hours ago, TomG said:

Hey Dustin. I meant to ask you how you did the playing card design. Is it painted on, some form of heat transfer, or whay?

I just drew the cards onto the leather with an 8b pencil, carved them in then painted them 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:02 PM, DustinSmith said:

I just drew the cards onto the leather with an 8b pencil, carved them in then painted them 

Wow! Great work. I wish I had that skill set