JayEhl

Techsew 2700 help

I bought a used techsew 2700 and after taking it home and figuring out the threading I noticed a bit of string hanging out the back.  I removed the plate and this is what I saw!!

Is this important and is it easy to fix?

1627438473975.jpg

Those are oil wicks. Please stick them back inside the head and make sure they contact the needle bar and inside foot bar.

9 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I bought a used techsew 2700 and after taking it home and figuring out the threading I noticed a bit of string hanging out the back

As wiz said they are the oil wicks. If you email Techsew they probably would email you a copy of their manual which should help you with routing the wick to the correct locations.

kgg

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Those are oil wicks. Please stick them back inside the head and make sure they contact the needle bar and inside foot bar.

Oh, man, you don't know what kind of a relief it was this morning when I read that!   I was groaning a bit last night when I went to bed.   Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, kgg said:

If you email Techsew they probably would email you a copy of their manual which should help you with routing the wick to the correct locations.

Oh, fantastic.   I got a manual from the previous owner so if it's not detailed in there, I'll go official Tech Sew route.  But that all said, I am super excited about the machine.  After I got it all set up, the thread she gave me (207) was too big for the needle that was already in the machine so I was unable to play with it as I had hoped.   I'm going to see if the wife will be able to pick up some smaller thread size and needles at a local store.  :)

8 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

I'm going to see if the wife will be able to pick up some smaller thread size and needles at a local store. 

Depending on your local store but if they are like most they will typically deal mostly with domestic sewing machine related items. For needles I would recommend you check out Wawak, good prices and fast delivery.

kgg

Okay cool.  I'm checking out the site now.   thanks!

2 hours ago, JayEhl said:

After I got it all set up, the thread she gave me (207) was too big for the needle that was already in the machine

I do not recommend using #207 thread in that machine. I have the same machine in my shop and limit it to #138 maximum, using a #23/160 needle. The 2700 is normally used with thinner thread, like #69 and #92. It is not strong enough to regularly punch through with #207 thread. But, if you really want to use that thread, get some System 135x16 (leather pt) or 135x17 (round pt) needles in size 24. Just make sure you understand how to re-time the needle bar to the hook after you knock it out of time.

Thanks so much for your guidance @Wizcrafts.   Since you have this machine, and your experience and knowledge base is valued, I would much rather go with what you're using.  Would you mind sharing name brands? (PM if it would be more appropriate to share this with me, privately).  

~JL

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

Thanks so much for your guidance @Wizcrafts.   Since you have this machine, and your experience and knowledge base is valued, I would much rather go with what you're using.  Would you mind sharing name brands? (PM if it would be more appropriate to share this with me, privately).  

~JL

I buy thread from different stores. Most  of it comes from our Cowboy sewing machine dealer. Others come from Superior Thread, or Wawak. I still have some Weaver bonded nylon thread, but is very twisty and expensive.

Your machine uses the ubiquitous system 135x16 and 135x17 needles. They are sold everywhere industrial sewing machines are sold and serviced. I buy some Japanese needles on eBay that are titanium coated and like them just fine. But, now and then I want something a little better made and buy Schmetz or Groz Beckert needles.

Wow, thanks for this information, especially about the 135x16 and 135x17 needles.  There is a local place on the other side of downtown that I am going to see what I can pick up (so i can start playing with my new toy right away! )    

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

Wow, thanks for this information, especially about the 135x16 and 135x17 needles.  There is a local place on the other side of downtown that I am going to see what I can pick up (so i can start playing with my new toy right away! )    

Thanks!

This Needle and Thread Chart will help you choose the best combinations.

Hi,

LOL.  Great minds and all that.  (well, not sure about my mind being great... ) 

I  expanded your chart to show sewing machine brands and models and the kinds of things you can make with each.  I don't know how accurate all of it is but I did list URLs at the bottom as I was researching.  It helped me keep everything in my feeble mind in one place.   If there are any inaccuracies, I welcome edits and can easily provide you access.  (if appropriate).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pdtUT-h8Vlisn8AJFt8XVrWNEnvHVQJewBk-jcYQyvk/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe others can also find this useful.   :rockon:

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

If there are any inaccuracies, I welcome edits and can easily provide you access.

I found a typo and some inaccuracies. Adler is misspelled Addler. Also, you included Cowboy 29 and 227 machines in the thread size 207 group which they don't belong in. You also included the CB29 in the #277 group which is way beyond it capabilities.

Great catches on those errors.  Thanks for taking the time to review it.