Munday

Stitching Pony Design

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@plinkercases thats a great example . I hear ya about the thread getting caught. Thats one good thing about my saddlers clamp, the thread doesn't get caught.

Which is probably the reason for the design. Sadly I'd need skills and wood I don't have to make one. The traditional French style also is smooth so the thread won't snag, and easier to copy in a home workshop.

Well, seeing as we are doing a 'show and tell', here are my stitching clamps thingies

#1, the first one I made over 20 years ago, still used occasionally.

stitching clamp, old, 01LWs.jpg

#2, as #1 is a bit tall I bought a cheap smaller one, cost under £10. I added magnets, changed the foot board and made it swivel-able. The spanner for the wing nut which locks the swivelling is held by a magnet on the inside.

stitching clamp, new, 01LWs.jpg

Maybe some day I'll add the springs I bought specially for these and maybe do other improvements. In the meantime some leather is calling me to cut and fashion it. . . . . .

@Klara My wood working skills are , well...... crap. In woodworking class in high school   way back when I was a wee lad, I nearly cut my thumb off.  I think the universe was trying to tell me something  :)

@fredk The top one is like my ponies that I still use. I have 3 sizes with different size jaws. One I bought when I started leather, the others I made with a few off cuts of wood. 

HS

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@Klara My wood working skills are , well...... crap. In woodworking class in high school   way back when I was a wee lad, I nearly cut my thumb off.  I think the universe was trying to tell me something  :)

But you were lucky enough to find a saddlers clam. I can't even find farm clearing auctions :(

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

My wood working skills are , well...... crap. In woodworking class in high school   way back when I was a wee lad, I nearly cut my thumb off.  

I was told to leave and never return to the woodwork class because I was so bad, which embarrassed my father no end as he was a fully qualified cabinet maker

On 7/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, Munday said:

I'm a woodworker and I'm building a stitching pony (I'm starting leather working).  I'm looking for advice about a couple design features. 

How big of a clamping surface is recommended?  Should I add a piece of leather to the clamping surface?

I'll be adding a pair of magnets near the top.  I think a needle will find a natural alignment on the magnet.  Before I glue the magnet in I want to align it so the needle is in a convenient position.  Is there a preferred alignment such as angled at 10 or 2 O-clock off the front or rear; maybe straight out the side (I'm guessing it is s personal preference but I want to avoid stabbing my hand grabbing for it).

I'm test fitting the maple parts in the picture.  It is designed to work on a chair or clamped to a workbench and rotated off the side 100 degrees.

P1040718.thumb.jpg.727efc0f439b5cc87e4c834859cf8366.jpg

I would move the tightening screw closer to the hinge as it's present location limits the width of material you can put in the pony.  Both the handle and the block behind it are places to catch the thread on.  

16 hours ago, fredk said:

I was told to leave and never return to the woodwork class because I was so bad, which embarrassed my father no end as he was a fully qualified cabinet maker

Bet that was awkward?  :) 

The scar on my thumb is faintly visible, even after all these years. 

HS

My stitching pony doesn't have magnets, but I'm considering adding some now that I've seen them.  They can easily be recessed into the wood, especially if you go with round magnets, just drill a shallow hole for them to sit down in.

I want to echo the statements made about "thread catching".  Amen!  It is so frustrating when it happens.  So anything you can do to help prevent it, the better.  Try to avoid anything that sticks out on the sides if you can.

If you don't want to use magnets, there's another easy solution and that is to just drill a hole in each of the jaws to stick the needles in if you need to pause.  When not used, the holes won't create any issues.  If you want to get really fancy, drill a 1/4" hole and plug it with cork.  Then you can jam the needle into the cork and it will hold fast.

18 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

If you don't want to use magnets, there's another easy solution and that is to just drill a hole in each of the jaws to stick the needles in if you need to pause.  When not used, the holes won't create any issues.  If you want to get really fancy, drill a 1/4" hole and plug it with cork.  Then you can jam the needle into the cork and it will hold fast.

Theres clever, boyo (say with a Welsh accent)

I have never felt any need to somehow fasten the needles to the stitching pony. I just put everything on the table and when I want to continue I find the needles at the end of the thread.

I have however thought about integrating a strop semewhere for the awl...

On 7/31/2021 at 12:15 AM, dikman said:

Mine is not as classy, being made from whatever wood was handy, but it works for me. It' swivels on the base so it can be angled and I can put my feet on the base when seated to hold it steady.imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abffimageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abffimageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff

Stitching pony a.jpg

But yours is rather nice, especially compared to -

stitching clamp, old, 01LWs.jpg

You've even got a spring and a fancy lever. Kinda beats my coach bolt and wing nut

:lol:

On 8/3/2021 at 9:07 PM, Handstitched said:

One of the main reasons I much prefer leatherworking these days.  Woodworking is dangerous, there's just no way around it.  And losing fingers is only one of the worries, most health organisations have upgraded the risk of breathing dust particles as one of the top health risks following latest research.  If you really look into it, and start measuring the invisible (but breathable) flying dust in your workshop, sooner or later you realise that unless you invest thousands of dollars and a lot of research time and workshop space on industrial type 3HP dust extraction with finetuned piping systems, machine ports and shrouds, you shouldn't really be doing any serious woodworking.  People get asthma or lose their sense of smell every day, or worse, and they don't even make the connection in their minds.  Especially Australian native timbers are particularly toxic.

Never mind the noise, the constant sharpening, the huge space you need for machines, the cost...   Screw woodworking LOL

There is of course the option of traditional woodworking, just do everything manually, no machines.  Nice wood shavings instead of dust.  Beautiful, elegant hand tools.  Very little noise.  It's all so pretty and satisfying, until you realise it takes a month to make a friggin table :P

Edited by Spyros

Well, how many tables do you need in a year? If you make them for sale, you better invest in dust management...

Regarding the risk, I nearly took off the tip of my thumb when slicing carrots yesterday. Very annoying when grabbing a needle...

But I'm not a woodworker (or cook), I just make things when I need them.

8 hours ago, dikman said:

You folks are making me think I should re-do mine and make it prettier.:lol:

Not if you want to get into leatherwork. It's just a clamp to hold your leather for sewing, after all. Function is a lot more important than looks. 

Woodworking as a job or craft is not considered dangerous but some woodworkers are very dangerous. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:01 AM, Munday said:

I'm a woodworker and I'm building a stitching pony (I'm starting leather working).  I'm looking for advice about a couple design features. 

How big of a clamping surface is recommended?  Should I add a piece of leather to the clamping surface?

I'll be adding a pair of magnets near the top.  I think a needle will find a natural alignment on the magnet.  Before I glue the magnet in I want to align it so the needle is in a convenient position.  Is there a preferred alignment such as angled at 10 or 2 O-clock off the front or rear; maybe straight out the side (I'm guessing it is s personal preference but I want to avoid stabbing my hand grabbing for it).

I'm test fitting the maple parts in the picture.  It is designed to work on a chair or clamped to a workbench and rotated off the side 100 degrees.

P1040718.thumb.jpg.727efc0f439b5cc87e4c834859cf8366.jpg

If I give you a suggestion, you look at the picture below, not too understand English, sorry can only help you to this

1920100847__20210805220659.png.c9ac26bae325afb2e14f780451267914.png166582418__20210805220656.png.4530bfd90e77cf1cf7953acdc1ae839a.png1340502457__20210805220702.png.80da090ffa0ab01dabe80770d784eb51.png1747263390__20210805221214.png.8cb5e1eb65ce23c0e04ab704765da1ac.png

Edited by Rocksnake

1 hour ago, Rocksnake said:

If I give you a suggestion, you look at the picture below, not too understand English, sorry can only help you to this

1920100847__20210805220659.png.c9ac26bae325afb2e14f780451267914.png166582418__20210805220656.png.4530bfd90e77cf1cf7953acdc1ae839a.png1340502457__20210805220702.png.80da090ffa0ab01dabe80770d784eb51.png1747263390__20210805221214.png.8cb5e1eb65ce23c0e04ab704765da1ac.png

that countersunk knob is a good idea indeed.

I wish I had found an example with dimensions like Rocksnake shows, those examples have some nice design features. 

This is how my stitching pony turned out.  I included magnets because I had some and it was an easy addon.  I think I want to add a lanyard to the spacer.  I can see I might want to lower the top clamp position at some point.  The leather I glued to the clamp was the first leather I've ever cut and when I tried to bevel the edges I discovered I'm not good at that yet.  I clamped it to my workbench to see how it works with my stool.  Next up is to actually use it to see how it works.

stitching pony11.jpg

stitching pony-15.jpg

Those pics from rocksnake have some well thought out anti-snag features.

Munday, using it like that should avoid the problem of snagging thread.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Those pics from rocksnake have some well thought out anti-snag features.

Munday, using it like that should avoid the problem of snagging thread.

Yes, thank you for helping me express that 

Mine works in the horizontal position, too.

unnamed (2).jpg

20 hours ago, Klara said:

Well, how many tables do you need in a year? If you make them for sale, you better invest in dust management...

Regarding the risk, I nearly took off the tip of my thumb when slicing carrots yesterday. Very annoying when grabbing a needle...

But I'm not a woodworker (or cook), I just make things when I need them.

Yeah for sure, if you're in it mainly for the pleasure of the process then it doesn't really matter how long a table takes.   Mostly people though prefer a balance between the joy of the process and the result, I'm one of them.

I'm definitely positively not investing in proper dust management, it doesn't fit in my workshop, plus it's the most boring topic I've ever seen and I'm just not interested in investing the time and research.

Leatherworking got me covered, I'm really happy with it :)

When I get the occasional itch for woodworking I just roll everything outside under the carport with a big mask on, when I finish I blow everything with a leaf blower and roll it back inside.