Munday

Stitching Pony Design

4 hours ago, Spyros said:

When I get the occasional itch for woodworking I just roll everything outside under the carport with a big mask on, when I finish I blow everything with a leaf blower and roll it back inside.

Brillant idea, sadly too late. During my recent bed-building I covered the whole wood-workshop in wood dust. Fortunately it's separate from the one for leather and textiles. 

Mike, so the only thing keeping that clam on your work table is the weight of the antique iron?? :huh:  How well does that work?

This is three pages of this subject now, and it's been going on too long - you'll have to clamp down on it!

33 minutes ago, zuludog said:

This is three pages of this subject now, and it's been going on too long - you'll have to clamp down on it!

LOL,  :rofl:  that had me in stitches!

3 pages aint long for a thread

Don't let it needle you

Oh get off your high pony, people wanna talk

tenor.gif

Edited by Spyros

9 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Mike, so the only thing keeping that clam on your work table is the weight of the antique iron?? :huh:  How well does that work?

It works well.  I'm not putting any downward pressure on the pony.  It is an  8# iron.  A clamp would work well, too.

18 hours ago, Spyros said:

When I get the occasional itch for woodworking I just roll everything outside under the carport with a big mask on, when I finish I blow everything with a leaf blower and roll it back inside.

Most of my woodworking is done outside for that reason! The lathe in particular makes a monumental mess, so when I want to use it I bolt/clamp it to an outside bench.

Seagiant, there's some nice-looking wood in yours.

After 45 years of carpentry I have never worried about saw/sanding dust. I have heard that I might develop an allergy to walnuts from working with the wood and inhaling the dust. But I have never liked walnuts, so I'm not concerned. In all those years the worst I've had to deal with is getting slightly stuffy.

The chemical in walnut sawdust/shavings, juglone, is extremely toxic. Horses have died when walnut shavings was used as their bedding.

I would certainly wear a mask if working with walnut wood. :o

On 8/6/2021 at 10:34 PM, zuludog said:

I agree, I'm starting to lose my grip. 

@Klara"I have never felt any need to somehow fasten the needles to the stitching pony"  .

I just use myself as a pin cushion, I stick the needles  into my T shirt , ...I may feel a bit of a prick ...nothing new.  :)

HS

Hi all! I also made a stitching pony with a used kitchen cabinet hinge and  cam-lock hardware. My jaws are lined with1715891688_ResizedPicsStitchingPony01.thumb.jpg.a0c7fa0811f4a4beccaceb56b7e055b8.jpg408863502_ResizedPicsStitchingPony05.jpg.84a756cf294e166d3463af4eb6f43957.jpg1174589208_ResizedPicsStitchingPony04.jpg.c45b1702a1f839e0e83d1248669f6a29.jpg736139078_ResizedPicsStitchingPony03.thumb.jpg.297c8aa723f6d393f849b54b7f1b3bed.jpg thin leather. I am experimenting where to put the magnets for my needles...thus the taped down magnets under the white duct tape. It is designed to clamp onto a bench or sit in a chair under one of my legs. 

I have no clue on attaching pictures...but I resized them. In the back of one of the pic's you will see a inverted driftwood tree root bird house I'm making..."never slow down, never go old." Joe

Resized Pics Stitching Pony 02.jpg

Down and dirty, not too pretty, but this is not woodworker.net

F8BFBA9A-429D-4E1B-B3B7-2297E2735D20.jpeg

ALAMOJOE2002, and the Moderators

I know this is off - topic, but I can't think of any other way of fitting it in

I once stayed at a B&B where the owner did wood carving. He found driftwood and similar rough & natural timber and branches, and used the bends & bumps of the wood to carve faces & figures that blended in with the natural shape of the timber

They could be realistic and serious, or trending towards fantasy and abstract. The pieces ranged from small branches & pieces that would fit onto a shelf, to larger freestanding pieces that would almost fill a hallway, for example, and all sorts of carvings, big and small, all over the timber; the more you looked, the more you found.