silverkrown

Durkopp 17 patcher

I just picked up this old patcher machine locally. After doing some research on this site I believe it to be a Durkopp 17. There is no logo on it anymore but you can faintly see some writing on it. If you get it in the right light you can see it use to have the filigree on it. Maybe it's still there just under a layer of paint? Not sure how to go about taking just a layer off to see if I can recover it or just repaint it.

After doing some research it looks like parts are not going to be available for this from what I've read. It looks to be mostly complete minus a few springs and odds and ends. Does anyone have shuttle and bobbins for this machine? I know you can supposedly grind down a Singer 29 shuttle. I ordered one to try but haven't received it yet. If anyone has one laying around though I'd be interested. My plan is to restore it and use it for sewing little things like patches on hats.

Does anyone have a picture of the foot tension knob that would be on the back? I'll need to make one and having a picture of what it looks like would be helpful. I did locate the manual for this but it was in German. I went ahead and translated it all with google translate and the help of our German Nanny. Is there somewhere I can upload that? It may be to large to upload here. I'll see if I can reduce it's size some way. Thanks for any help and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

I finally finished up the restoration of this old Durkopp patcher machine. It didn’t have the shuttle and bobbins when I got it. I’ve tried to use the singer 29k shuttle. I was able to get it to fit but it isn’t working correctly. Not sure if the timing is off or what’s going on. Anyone willing to part with an extra durkopp 17 shuttle and bobbin? 

2706D0E6-2479-42D6-84D9-FF2260CFF8F1.jpeg

I'm also curious if someone can help me with threading this machine. I don't know what you call it but there is the part that is next to the spool holders. It looks different than ones that I have seen on other Durkopp 17 machines. I'm not really sure how you thread it or if it's even pointing in the correct direction. 

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.jpg

What a great job you have done it looks fantastic

I found that there are large differences in the sizes of shuttles for the 29's available, some seem to be for the 70 range and are a bit bigger than the older versions also the finish varied quite a lot, I was buying for a 29K53

On 8/1/2021 at 3:37 AM, silverkrown said:

Does anyone have a picture of the foot tension knob that would be on the back?

This is a Dürkopp 18 but its the same. Picture is from a machine I restored in 2017 (see link below picture). Thats the closes I haven - machine is sold.

IMG_3090.JPG

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/76826-dürkopp-18-patcher-restoration-long-journey/page/2/

Edited by Constabulary

I have bobbins that will fit this machine and I have a bunch of hooks coming in from Germany.  I hope some of these are Durkopp hooks.  check with me in about 2 weeks.

glenn

On 10/4/2021 at 12:07 PM, shoepatcher said:

I have bobbins that will fit this machine and I have a bunch of hooks coming in from Germany.  I hope some of these are Durkopp hooks.  check with me in about 2 weeks.

glenn

Hi Glenn, 

keep me posted if you end up getting any hooks that will work. I’d be very interested in getting the correct hook and bobbin so I can actually put this machine to work. Thanks!

On 9/30/2021 at 7:33 PM, silverkrown said:

I'm also curious if someone can help me with threading this machine. I don't know what you call it but there is the part that is next to the spool holders. It looks different than ones that I have seen on other Durkopp 17 machines. I'm not really sure how you thread it or if it's even pointing in the correct direction. 

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

Is this any help?

On 10/1/2021 at 12:24 AM, silverkrown said:

I finally finished up the restoration of this old Durkopp patcher machine.

That is a really nice restoration.

kgg

Hi y'all, I'm new here and so excited to find there is activity here about this machine. 

I just bought one from a friend, it was rusting away in his old shed in Amsterdam. 

I haven't had the time to properly test it and to check whether everything is complete. 

I'll send an update + some photos later this week when I'm fooling around with it at the shop... 

Cheers!  

Dan

ps: Wondering whether a 3d printed shuttle would work... 

On 10/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, DanHolland said:

Hi y'all, I'm new here and so excited to find there is activity here about this machine. 

I just bought one from a friend, it was rusting away in his old shed in Amsterdam. 

I haven't had the time to properly test it and to check whether everything is complete. 

I'll send an update + some photos later this week when I'm fooling around with it at the shop... 

Cheers!  

Dan

ps: Wondering whether a 3d printed shuttle would work... 

Wow that’s great. I’ll be interested to see some pictures of it. Did yours come with the shuttle and bobbins?

On 10/11/2021 at 3:30 PM, DanHolland said:

ps: Wondering whether a 3d printed shuttle would work..

We have a sub-forum dedicated to discussing 3D printers and lasers. That would be a good place to pursue a 3D printed shuttle.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:43 AM, silverkrown said:

Wow that’s great. I’ll be interested to see some pictures of it. Did yours come with the shuttle and bobbins?

So today I finally had some time to clean the beauty and try her out. The mechanism seems to be running smoothly, when operating slowly there appears to be a "clunck!" sound, when running it faster it disappears.  And, yes it came with a shuttle and one bobbin! I'm wondering if the clearance around  itis normal, it's quite a lot!  The shuttle might be incomplete: compared to the 'threading' youtube vid, it appears to be missing a little clip on the cylindrical side.... Does anyone have a pic of a complete one?   

It failed to pick up the lower thread 'automatically', when I tried to do it manually, I must have given the shuttle too much resistance to complete its spinning path, somehow pulling it out of phase since I made a collision and broke the needle... Gonna look for the "system 88" needles here in the Netherlands.  I'll post some pics now, please fire away if u have any questions!     

Due to limited space to insert pics here I've started an album, will fill it up slowly with pics / vids... 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vug9acU3Ey3L3dAn7

Cheers, Dan

IMG_5647.jpg

shuttle.jpg

incomplete.jpg

Edited by DanHolland

6 hours ago, DanHolland said:

So today I finally had some time to clean the beauty and try her out. The mechanism seems to be running smoothly, when operating slowly there appears to be a "clunck!" sound, when running it faster it disappears.  And, yes it came with a shuttle and one bobbin! I'm wondering if the clearance around  itis normal, it's quite a lot!  The shuttle might be incomplete: compared to the 'threading' youtube vid, it appears to be missing a little clip on the cylindrical side.... Does anyone have a pic of a complete one?   

It failed to pick up the lower thread 'automatically', when I tried to do it manually, I must have given the shuttle too much resistance to complete its spinning path, somehow pulling it out of phase since I made a collision and broke the needle... Gonna look for the "system 88" needles here in the Netherlands.  I'll post some pics now, please fire away if u have any questions!     

Due to limited space to insert pics here I've started an album, will fill it up slowly with pics / vids... 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vug9acU3Ey3L3dAn7

Cheers, Dan

IMG_5647.jpg

shuttle.jpg

incomplete.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. The little circle that you ask “what’s this” I believe that can be turned to help keep the shuttle and bobbin in place. What thread are you using? Your last picture it looks like the tension spring is missing from your shuttle.

These shuttles either came with a tension leaf spring or sometimes with 2 small posts you can wrap the thread around for increasing / decreasing the tensions. Seems your was one with 2 small posts which are missing.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for the replies! Hoping I can find out how it is supposed to look/function exactly in order to find way to repair. 

Is there anyone around here with a fully functional shuttle?  It would be amazing to find out exactly what's missing + its dimensions... 

Found these images online, looks as if the screw adjustable excenter has a kind of pin?  

antique-sewing-machine-1930-durkopp_1_d1b393f59575861ed00beacd488014fa.jpeg

This one above appears to be non original?

durkopp.jpeg

Edited by DanHolland

beside the shuttle / hook size (the class 17 had 3 shuttle sizes) there were  a few different types with minor differences but the bobbin size remained the same afaik.

I think I have one or two Durkopp shuttles but I don't not know which belongs to your machine. Usually the 17-1-1 is the one with the smallest shuttle but seems yours is a 17-1-0 which I never heard of.

Here is a chart but 17-1-0 is not mentioned but there probably were other Class 17 models before or after the time this chart came out.

Can you give us the measures of just the bobbin and some measured of the shuttle?

Dürkopp 17 18.JPG

To give you an idea how many different elastic shuttle types existed (no all are Durkopp and not all are for patchers only) see below pictures.  ;) 

In the 1st picture I just noticed the Durkopp shuttle # 5464 with just holes for the thread tension (German: Lochspannung = holes for thread tension) - this pretty much looks like the one you have just smaller I guess.

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

I found a guy on Instagram that uses a few Durkopp machines in his leatherwork. I talked with him and he helped me figure out what thread and needles to use. Below are some pictures he sent. Maybe the pictures of the shuttles will be of help to you. His machine is the only other one that I’ve seen that has the same top tension mechanism as mine although my needle plate area looks like the 17-1-0? If anyone has a shuttle for sale let me know.EF3BAEC5-8B5D-49D2-8908-62B692B173D5.thumb.jpeg.04d7b6c48c35d1b6548f0c91da3572c6.jpeg

4387B654-BFBD-4547-A05A-88E737663BEF.jpeg

C2C12E83-843C-4797-9DE2-8B908DD84915.jpeg

657EC8B3-6B70-4057-B3B5-FC7400595ADD.jpeg

241A53B0-7F83-4765-9846-4C65DAACB4E9.jpeg

984E01B9-0064-47FD-9762-31D2EDCC3902.jpeg

28103C9E-87A3-43D8-BCC2-AEE0C1AD049B.jpeg

Edited by silverkrown

@silverkrown & @Constabulary Wow, amazing work!!! 

This is what the internet is for in my humble opinion! 

I'll start measuring and comparing to your images (probably this tuesday), will report back asap. 

Thanks!!! Dan

ps: oh yes, the thread I'm using is a middle of the road thread for making sails, don't have the exact specs but it's very strong... 

Edited by DanHolland

Hi Y'all, I did some measurements (metric) and uploaded the pictures to the album.  

(I can do more detailed accurate measurements if desired)

It looks very similar to 2nd phone screenshot of @silverkrown

Furthermore it looks identical to 5464 as dislplayed in the shuttle brochure, it mentions: "mit Lochspannung" which translates as "with hole tension".

This makes me think it might actually be complete, the 2nd screenshot utilises these 'holes' to create a pre-tension...  It seems to be the simplest design, without any external leafsprings (there is one at the bottom of the shuttle to push up the bobbin) 

What do you gentlemen think?  

There is some wear obvious wear on the pointy side, which rests on the lower caliper bracket in the pic below.     

..Still wondering about the rather big clearance, I made a video of it in the album...  @silverkrown, could you perhaps forward this to the instagram contact and ask him?

Best! 

Dan

shuttle_2.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 15.07.53.png

Very Cool Machine Nice Job on the rebuild......