Petru2

Aluminium marks on leather boots

So I ride a motorcycle and the motorcycle has some supports on the sides of the pegs made out of aluminium and the leather on my boots has been rubing on the supports leaving a shinny dark spot on my boots made out of aluminium i am not too Shure show to remove the marks safely. Thought of using distiled vinegar and water on the area but I don't Want to stain my brand new boots too badly so what do I do it's not a big issue but it's very visible and it's shinny and metalic so thought knowing how to remove such marks would be good any suggestions ? Thanks.

My first attempt would be to stuff the boots full of sheets or towels or something to stretch that part of the leather real tight . . . then take my thumbnail and scratch it off.

The same thing happens with a strop used to sharpen knives . . . and the metal can be scraped off the strop . . . would think it would also scrape off of boots . . . especially if there was polish underneath.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

If the marks are dark and shiny,  I think its the aluminium oxide rubbing off. Aluminium always has a layer of oxide on its surface. Spraying the area with MrMuscle oven cleaner might work as that dissolves aluminium, but thats risky as the MrMuscle might affect the rest of your boots.

If you like them, PLEASE DON'T USE MR MUSCLE.  There are warnings about getting it on your skin and leather is, well, skin.  Here is a link to the SDS for Mr Muscle:

Mr. Muscle SDS link

Just my 2 cents,

Jim

I've used MrMuscle on leather boots and shoes to clean off oily gunge from my motorcycles or picked up in scrapyards. Spray on, leave for just a few moments, wash off, job done, but it is risky if you don't know what you're doing with it.