IslandMoose

New 1962 Pfaff barn find ~ Questions

Good day, 

I've picked up a Pfaff 145 for a song, its a 145-6/1B H2S.

There are a couple of issues with it that I want to address, aside from fitting a servo motor and restoring the table.

1. The bobbin lever comes into contact with the top of the hook assembly, the lever rides over the edge of the hook assembly, but there is considerable contact between the two and the machine binds at that point.  With the hook assembly removed the machine rotates effortlessly. I believe the lever is damaged, so I've got a replacement coming.  In the photo note I've removed the needle plate, but the lever strikes the hook assembly when everything is in it's proper place.

2.  The stitch length lever does not move upward when the knob is rotated.  It is constantly set at the longest stitch length at the bottom of it's travel.  The lever will go up into reverse, but I cannot select a stitch length.  

Pfaff1.jpg

Pfaff2.jpg

That square tab is supposed to fit in the notch on the underside of the needle plate - That's what keeps the bobbin case from rotating with the hook.

Do that when you put the needle plate in, and problem solved.

Thank you, but when the needle plate is in and the notch is properly held steady, the hook still revolves around and the top of the hook assembly contacts the underside of the case lever arm (see photo of part I am referring to).  It's as though the case lever isn't sitting flush on the lower casting, but it is.

s-l400.jpg

Sorry - I misunderstood the issue. 

Maybe it's just that the lever is bent / damaged - Does it meet the stop tab on the bobbin case squarely, when it comes around?     It should be exactly level with that angled tab.

13 hours ago, trash treasure said:

Sorry - I misunderstood the issue. 

Maybe it's just that the lever is bent / damaged - Does it meet the stop tab on the bobbin case squarely, when it comes around?     It should be exactly level with that angled tab.

Ive ordered a replacement, it is not level with the stop tab on the bobbin case, it tries to go under it...explains why it contact the hook.  Thank you.

Hey!   Maybe I got it right !

As they say: Even a blind pig finds a nut, sometimes :~)

Up and running!  Fitted a 550w servo motor, a new bobbin winder, and restored the original table.  I cleaned and lubricated the machine, including the grease enclosures, then I timed it as per the service manual.  It's giving me some really good stitches in heavy Sunbrella fabric.

20210912_223153.jpg

20210912_223228.jpg

NICE!

glenn

Very nice and saving old machine'