ke6cvh

heavier springs/handwheel Singer Artisan Class Machines

Hello group,  

Background:  

I have been buying Singer Artisan class machines of Japan and Brazil manufacture.   These are for denim and canvas work to include denim felled seams.  Understand this class of machine is not a leather machine and  I am mostly buying these for treadle work as they fit lock stock and barrel on a Singer Gagamba (Tagolog language for spider) treadle.  Typically I will use a 3/8 inch leather belt on a treadle with low flywheel wobble but might try 1/4 also.  

I read on the Sailrite forum (which is now closed for comments completely) where somone wanted to convert a 20u for heavier work and the moderator, Matt, responded that heavier springs will allow the 20u to easily sew through 6 layers of Sunbrella.  Not sure what springs he is talking but they typically also use larger/heavier handwheels in their machines that only take cogged belts.

1)  First will discuss the 188u's.  Five pieces out of Japan of Singer 188u all in like new/pristine condition including the paint and decals.  Some are "Professional" and others are "Blue Champion".  There are differences between the first three that have arrived in the handwheel and it seems possibly even check spring.  Cannot feel a difference in presser foot spring but one also has a different presser foot without any foot protruding to the rear while others do have a rear "extension" to the foot abeit small.  One has a makeshift hand crank and a metallic handwheel came with fairly thick leather sewn off on ticket 20 thread perfect stitches.  One has the presser foot without the rear extension and a plastic handwheel like what would be seen on  Pfaff and the third is somewhee in the middle with a slightly smaller handwheel.  For the 188u's what springs may I substitute and from what model machine to get heavier sewing in Canvas and Denim seams.   What handwheels might I buy and install to replace the plastic handhweel.  

2)  I have a 20u43 coming enroute.  Same questions with the springs and hand wheel as well as presser feet.

3)  The most interesting in the bunch is the Brazil manufactured Singers.  These are virtually impossible to find information on but the body is basically a 20u.  Two are Singer 121DL.  This is a double needle with fixed 1/4 inch guage.  The DL stands for double lockstitch.  Very interesting they would get this double needle underfeed only in an Artisan class machine but they did.  The others are Singer 123TS.  Another super interesting machine unable to find info and also 20u body.  This is a straight with zig zag but the zig zag is a 3 step zig zag.  100 percent metal innards and outer with the exception of a fiber cam same as what is used on some of the 269w bartacks.  The achilles heel on the 269w fiber cam is not age like on nylon cams.  I've got some 269w's and the fiber cam does not deteriorate with age but instead if a needle breaks and falls down into the lower mounted piece that is horizontal it will eat up the fiber gear. In the case of the 123TS it is under the cover on the arm and mounted vertically.  It is a non-issue with the worm gear mating it out of metal so all is super durable.  Same questions apply on handwheel, springs, presser feet. 

We have enough of these machines where I could make two Artisan lines one being treadle and one being motor.  Oh, also our lineup of Singer 16u-288's has increased as well with five more new old stock of the 16u-288 to match the other 288/188/88 we have one each of here already.  We are welding and modifying treadles to make the base and foot pedal wider for the industrial machines.  Once upper diferential feed, check spring, tension, and stitch length are tweaked these are incredible machines.  We find the walking foot when tweaked out performs the Pfaff 34-0 on turning curves for pockets (also treadle mounted).  We are confident in modifying the treadle bases as we already turned some 29k bases into left hand models with lots of metal fabrication/welding for use with our Singer 18u-322's.

Best regards,

Mike

turns out the 121DL machine was picked up yesterday and a single bobbin in the bottom with capability of two needles on top at spacing around 1/8 inch so I was misled.  Any suggestions on upgrading to heavier springs would be great.  

Best regards,

Mike

I converted an older (1960s) Singer 20U (no submodel number known) to treadle for use on Sunbrella, canvas, and vinyl.  I used the machine for repairs when I needed a wide zigzag, and doubt that I ever sewed through 6 layers.  I’ve never done any production work with it.

There’s a photo and discussion of it here at Leatherworker:
https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86841-singer-20u-and-premier-chainstitch-machine-question/?do=findComment&comment=591646

CD in Oklahoma