Sign in to follow this  
JC2019

Techsew 26000 - Thread keeps pulling, bunching up and snapping

I am wondering if this is something to do with the bobbing being thread being too tight vs the needle thread being not tight enough?

I've adjusted the tension at the top of the machine (knobs where it thread through).

What happens is it stitches a few times and then it bunches up and snaps. Happens pretty quickly.

I also have a side question: sometimes my machine on going in reverse it will get stuck if I stop mid way (maybe I left the handle go on accident while it still is moving.. not sure). Usually what happens is the needle snaps since the machine is stuck and can't move. Is there a better way to resolve this that won't snap the needle? What has happened there?

Thanks again

(I guess you mean Techsew 2600.)

I think we need a little more information in order to help you...

Does that happen at the beginning of your stitching or somewhere further on?  Are you holding the tails of the two threads at the beginning so they don't get pulled in/under?  What thread are you using and what needle?  Is this a new problem or are you new to the machine?  Have you adjusted the bobbin tension properly?  Is your needle worn?  And how are you threading the machine?  Photos/video would help.

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Does that happen at the beginning of your stitching or somewhere further on?  Are you holding the tails of the two threads at the beginning so they don't get pulled in/under?  What thread are you using and what needle?  Is this a new problem or are you new to the machine?  Have you adjusted the bobbin tension properly?  Is your needle worn?  And how are you threading the machine?  Photos/video would help.

Yeah typo. Thanks for the response.

I am new to the machine but have owned a while now. I don't use it often. It has always given me this problem. 

Maybe it does a few stitches before this happens. I am not holding it on the side no so I will try that thank you. The needle is brand new.

I am using thread it came with still. 

It is threaded according to the youtube video they  have here but I will try to rewatch it a bit more and provide my own photos:

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I just tried again  and I held the threads this time and that must have been the problem. Or at least part of it.

Now my next problem is that part of the needle  thread (I use black thread for the needle & white on the bobbing to see what is going on better) goes into the hole of the bobbing (bobbing thread is white) but I am assuming it shouldn't get stuck in there when I am done. The problem is at the end of stitching, part of the black /needle thread  seems to always get stuck in the bobbing hole when I am done stitching. I have to pull it out by force.

This is hard to describe but usually I expect to be done stitching and do the following:  I make sure my needle is up and not in the leather. Then  I lift the needle up. I pull on my leather piece and it pulls both threads from needle and bobbing. I cut both. Then I should be done but that's not what happens for me:

Instead:  I make sure my needle is up and not in the leather.  I lift the needle up. I have to jank/pull hard to get my leather far enough to cut the threads and a piece of black thread is left stuck in where the needle goes in (where the white bobbing thread comes out). I have to pull  out the black thread after I cut the white and black threads from my leather end. I'm not sure why that is happening. 

Edited by JC2019

Yes, you really need to hold the two threads when you start sewing.

You didn't answer about what thread and needle you're using (other than to say it's what came with the machine).  What is the weight of the thread?  What size needle?

I think your problem is really caused by improper thread tension.  Are you confident that you've adjusted the bobbin (not "bobbing") thread correctly?  It takes practice to learn how tight it needs to be, but basically you want to hold the end of the bobbin thread and let the bobbin and bobbin case dangle... with gentle bouncing the thread should just come out.  The bobbin shouldn't be so tight that the thread doesn't come out or so loose that the bobbin just falls.  Also, did you know that black thread usually requires a different tension adjustment than the other colors?  I'm told that's because of the dyes used on the black.  I generally use the same thread top and bottom, but I actually keep one bobbin case properly adjusted for my usual v92 black thread, and another bobbin case adjusted for the other colors.  That way when I switch from black to something else, or vice-versa, I mostly don't have to readjust the bobbin tension.  Only need to fine tune the top.

You mention sewing leather... are you using leather needles (135x16) or "regular" needles (135x17)?  But in any case, I think your problem is related to tension.

When you stop sewing are you using the knee lifter to raise the presser foot or the lever?  For awhile I also had a problem releasing the thread because I wasn't lifting the knee lifter high enough (got lazy).  Make sure you've got it all the way up and the thread should be easier to pull out.

Hope this helps...

Edited by MtlBiker

Okay I will research more. I don't use my machine often but glad to know that's a big part of the problem. This small part of the thread getting caught is a much more minor issue and I can deal with it for now but want to eventually solve it too.

The bobbin thread is indeed a bit more tight than the needle thread if I pull on both, the bobbin white thread I use is a bit more tight.

I started using different colors to see my problems more clearly, which one lacked, tension, what was actually getting caught, etc.