panchoskywalker

How to do a lining for a weekender bag?

Hello,

I am planning to do a weekender bag with fabric and leather, I already did one a few years ago but I am not 100% happy with it and I found a nicer fabric. This time I also want to improve the lining as the one I did is baggy at the bottom of the bag, so I was looking at this video as an example but it not 100% clear,maybe you can help me to understand.

She make like a 3 pieces construction. The bottom and each side. The bottom is a rectangle with a doble layer of fabric and these layers are just glue together, is that right?

I can not say for sure how she has done the full job but I would think that what you may want to consider is using a thin foam to lend a flexible support to the shape of your bag. We do this very commonly on many of the bags we make here. I don't have any ideal pictures to show but this one here showing some patchwork tote bags being made should help. Note this picture shows the bag before the lining is installed and is able to stand up firmly with the foam support glued in. We usually just spray glue the foam to the outer skin.

DSC01795_resize.JPG

DSC01809_resize.JPG

DSC01838_resize.JPG

DSC01839_resize.JPG

I used a special cardboard called lefa cardboard glued at the bottom of the bag but it's glued to the outer skin as you say. My problem is with the lining, how to make the bottom of the lining heavy enough so it stay at the bottom.

Once again Brian you show your design and manufacturing skills are at the highest level. they are first class tote's and a credit to your skills

9 hours ago, panchoskywalker said:

My problem is with the lining, how to make the bottom of the lining heavy enough so it stay at the bottom.

Could you not glue the lining down at the ends in the base when you put it in place? Another solution if you prefer is to make a separate drop in base piece to cover the bottom. Like as in this one which is a sloppy bag -

IMGP9000_resize.JPG

IMGP9011_resize.jpg

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

Once again Brian you show your design and manufacturing skills are at the highest level. they are first class tote's and a credit to your skills

Thanks mate...last I looked you were doin pretty good yourself.:wave:

If I were building that bag . . . I would get a piece of masonite . . . 1/4 inch (6mm) and wrap the lining material around it . . . contact cementing it to the back side of the board.

The board would be cut so it fits snugly into the bottom.

Almost everyone using a bag like this will one day look down in it . . . something liquid has spilled . . . and the bottom bears the stains and maybe the stink.  

If it was done my way . . .  the board could easily be removed . . . cleaned up . . . new fabric . . . and you are good to go.

But there certainly is more than one way to skin a cat . . . this is just my way.

May God bless,

Dwight

Both ideas are good, how do you glue the lining to the bottom? Applying spray glue?

No . . . you do not fasten my bottom piece to the bag.  It is a friction fit . . . that way if something leaks or spills out . . . just run a finger under it and pull it out.

I'm not sure I've ever known a woman who at one time or another did not have something spill in their purse or tote bag.

Plus you can just lift it up on one side and the bag will then fold flat fairly easily for storage.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, Dwight said:

No . . . you do not fasten my bottom piece to the bag.  It is a friction fit . . . that way if something leaks or spills out . . . just run a finger under it and pull it out.

I'm not sure I've ever known a woman who at one time or another did not have something spill in their purse or tote bag.

Plus you can just lift it up on one side and the bag will then fold flat fairly easily for storage.

May God bless,

Dwight

I see, very interesting. I'll think about this option.

Thank you very much.