I've branched out from dog collars into bags because the bought nylon training belt is coming apart and I wanted one made to my needs: Treat bag for normal treats, bag for tin of cat food for special occasions, bag for tupperware container for filled poop bags (I don't have a smaller one), poop bags distributor, bag for everything else (money, keys, etc...)

I'm getting a feeling the treat bag might be too small and some of the others too big, but the best part about having made it myself is that I can always make another, better one :)

IMG_20210807_113559.jpg

I had a lot of fun trying out the different ways of constructing a bag!

Edited by Klara

Love it, great idea :thumbsup: ... I made a bag for treats for myself and I have to say it comes in very handy but I am always feeling like I need more bags or places to put things.!! 

6 hours ago, Klara said:

I've branched out from dog collars into bags because the bought nylon training belt is coming apart and I wanted one made to my needs: Treat bag for normal treats, bag for tin of cat food for special occasions, bag for tupperware container for filled poop bags (I don't have a smaller one), poop bags distributor, bag for everything else (money, keys, etc...)

I'm getting a feeling the treat bag might be too small and some of the others too big, but the best part about having made it myself is that I can always make another, better one :)

IMG_20210807_113559.jpg

I had a lot of fun trying out the different ways of constructing a bag!

great work indeed you can call it your doody belt lol. Man we live in different worlds I don't need any of that stuff in our lil town.

I'd say whether you take treats depends more on one's ideas of dog training than on the location. But I congratulate you on not needing money or keys... ;)

The first test has shown that two small rivets are not enough to securely fasten a belt loop to a big bag. Especially when they are not long enough and I forgot to skive the leather... Now the interesting question is whether the two slits loop method works with a gussetless bag and stiff leather. Or maybe I could try skiving the loop and hitting the rivets harder...

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I'd say whether you take treats depends more on one's ideas of dog training than on the location. But I congratulate you on not needing money or keys... ;)

The first test has shown that two small rivets are not enough to securely fasten a belt loop to a big bag. Especially when they are not long enough and I forgot to skive the leather... Now the interesting question is whether the two slits loop method works with a gussetless bag and stiff leather. Or maybe I could try skiving the loop and hitting the rivets harder...

i meant more of the doggy stuff i have pockets for my stuff lol. Also i dont train with treats i use the methods taught by Tom Davis an exceptional young man IMO. I raise American Bullies. There are no Poopy pick up laws here just a friendly little town but my dogs do thier doody in my yard. I could better envision your problem with a picture and maybe help some way.

Edited by chuck123wapati

Lots of bags there... just don't put your hand in the wrong one looking for the keys...

YinTx

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I could better envision your problem with a picture and maybe help some way.

Thanks for the offer but I don't have a problem. I had rivets that turned out too short for the thickness of the leather, so I thinned it a bit as Al Stohlman suggests (Al has the answers to every question I've had so far - I  wish somebody would make an updated compilation of his cases books!). And then I hit the rivet harder with a bigger hammer... In a bit I'll see whether that did the trick. 

My dog training "guru" is Patricia McConnell, the great old lady of behavioural research and therapy (and wonderful author). But at least my borzoi is not difficult at all...

11 hours ago, Klara said:

Thanks for the offer but I don't have a problem. I had rivets that turned out too short for the thickness of the leather, so I thinned it a bit as Al Stohlman suggests (Al has the answers to every question I've had so far - I  wish somebody would make an updated compilation of his cases books!). And then I hit the rivet harder with a bigger hammer... In a bit I'll see whether that did the trick. 

My dog training "guru" is Patricia McConnell, the great old lady of behavioural research and therapy (and wonderful author). But at least my borzoi is not difficult at all...

Tandy has a free e library that you can download alot of Stohlman books. About a year ago they had most of them but have changed it up a bit. I downloaded everything back then and yes its my goto library lol. i don't think there is a question i have had about leather i couldn't find the answer in his stuff.

Same here, but I find the files hard to read on an 8 " tablet. And the page layout is not always well suited to zooming. I constantly miss things and find that the books get better every time I read them. Which is why I bought the book on tools and am seriously thinking about getting the handsewing one on paper as well.

But the Cases are such a mix of brilliant timeless basic information and useless patterns that I wish somebody would compile the former, add some basic patterns, pull out the generally useful things from the obsolete patterns and drop the rest. For such a  book I'd be prepared to pay good money!

It a fantastic idea for sure. I don't know that I would have a dedicated belt. I might take from your idea and just do the pouches that can attach to one of my existing belts like a knife or tool sheath.

I was thinking about that, but as I mentioned above, I currently have a dedicated nylon belt with attached pouches and I find it very helpful that I can just grab the belt and be sure to have everything I need.