Sign in to follow this  
Yogeri

Make a 135x1 leather needle?

Hi everyone! New here and looking for some opinions. I’ll make this quick… if I grind 2mm off the butt of a 134LR needle (33.9mm to eye) could I feasibly make myself a 135x1, Dpx1 (31.9mm to eye) both have a 2mm shank. I want to put it in a 151W2 FWIW. looks like aside from the clamp end the rest of these 2 needles are pretty close? 

thanks !

You don´t have to grind down needles. You can simply adjust the height of the needle bar. But different needle system can have slightly different length needle tips. I have a 108w20 which basically is the cylinder arm version of the 151w and the hook is the same. Longer needle tips are sometimes scratching on the hook body. My 108w20 is a bit picky with needle tips.

I have attached the manual. For adjusting the NB height see page 18.

Test the needle by hand cranking the machine and listen if the needle is scratching on the hook.

151W1,W2,W3-Inst.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary, thank you for your reply, attachment and advise! I also thought of that, I actually had to move the NB up a smidge, and move the race out some to accommodate a size 22 round point whilst adjusting the timing. The needle tip and shaft were both scratching the hook body! I looked to see if I had 2mm left on the NB between the clamp and body at the upmost position and it appears that the clamp screw will hit if the bar is lifted up 2mm. I may try both methods to get a leather point on this cool machine. With the round point it sews two layers of 5 ounce medium temper leather pretty well. Nice enough stitch, a leather point would work better obviously, especially with 138 thread. My 31-17 definitely likes a leather point needle better than round for sewing animal. I wasn’t even looking for the 151W2, it came with a vintage table I found at a yard sale for the 31-17. I also scored two 31-15s, all the table accessories and some spare parts all for 200 bucks. Refurbished the table, added a servo, I really like the 31-17. I’ll make it work for the 151 too…my hands get sore from too much saddle stitching. Here’s the fruits of my restoration labor so far. I love “Old Cast Iron” and am doing my part in keeping it alive! 

Thanks so much, Cheers!

la6436BDFF-DAF7-47CF-9DFC-7B56FE43C831.thumb.jpeg.be1b4812b6455bed0ae94cc92bcaef53.jpeg