Sign in to follow this  
mrwatch

A leather awl

I put A broken 1/16th drill bit in a drill and held to my one inch belt sander. The golf ball is drill out with a nut pressed into it for a file handle as seen on YouTube. The hex was a tad big so revered it in the drill and a slight sanding then put into a bench vise and tapped the ball on. Some file handles don't stay on well but it does okay. I will try it out. Bob

I'm assuming it is an awl that uses a golf ball as a haft.  But...pics or it didn't happen.

Sorry I'm rather sure they did post. I selected nuts for the with of several file tangs. Drilled near the size of the nut then used the drill press chuck to press the nut into the ball. 

1 minute ago, mrwatch said:

Sorry I'm rather sure they did post. I selected nuts for the with of several file tangs. Drilled near the size of the nut then used the drill press chuck to press the nut into the ball. 

Don't show again. Image way to large. 

P1010529.jpg

more

P1010528.jpg

Thanks for adding the photos.  You can use various apps or software to reduce the size of your photos.  800x600 or 1024x768 pixels is adequate size for most details to be seen.  Smaller files are also great for people on the fringes of the internet that take a long time for larger files to download.

Some helps are located in this thread.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171

Isn't a golf ball much too large for an awl haft? 

Regarding picture size, I can reduce it in my tablet's viewing app (Samsung A8)

14 hours ago, Klara said:

Isn't a golf ball much too large for an awl haft? 

Regarding picture size, I can reduce it in my tablet's viewing app (Samsung A8)

I will find out as I mostly resew old hunting knife sheaths and may need to open a stitch hole to pass a needle thru.  Or I would have to make a wood handle for it. For a larger men's hand it should be okay. 

It also depends on the size of your hand.  Maybe the golf ball will feel "just right".  No other way to determine it but to try.