DaveP

Need a new diamond awl/ haft

I have a small Wuta diamond awl which I like. Plus an array of others. The Wuta small fits my Kevin Lee stitching irons very well. It's just not long enough going thru 3 layers of veg tan. I'll probably need it to go thru 4 layers at some point. Who makes one that size but longer? 

Thanks again

Contact member @chuck123wapati

Thanks Frodo...sent him a message

If interested I may be able to make you an awl and haft to your plans.  I mostly make awls for boot and shoemakers but have also made some diamond awls.  Be glad to help if I can.

Thanks.....Dick

Hmm, we don't know what you know. 

"The Wuta small fits my Kevin Lee stitching irons very well."  How wide are the KL irons and awl?

"It's just not long enough going thru 3 layers of veg tan."  How thick are your "3 layers"?

23 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Hmm, we don't know what you know. 

"The Wuta small fits my Kevin Lee stitching irons very well."  How wide are the KL irons and awl?

"It's just not long enough going thru 3 layers of veg tan."  How thick are your "3 layers"?

The irons teeth are roughly 2.5mm wide. I use 8-9, 9-10 ounce veg tan mostly. The tip of the Wuta awl barely goes thru.

How about Vergez Blanchard awls they may fit, quite a lot of variations

I have tried a few awls & blades and have settled on Osborne Saddler's Harness Awl Blades. I think they are good quality and reasonably priced. You do need to do the fine sharpening & polishing first, but not as much as some blades I've used. Although I use size #43, which is a small size, they go up to #52, which is 3 1/4" long, and should be long enough for even quite thick combinations of leather.

I have only used awls with the blade simply knocked into a plain haft, but that's fiddly, and if I ever buy another awl I'll use a haft with a chuck, such as the Osborne Palm Awl Haft #142

You can get awls that can be used straight out of the box, but those are fairly expensive, as sharpening leather tools follows The Law of Diminishing Returns