Davidmadd

Wanted, Parts for Fortuna 50 Sciver

I recently bought a SAS Fortuna Sciving Machine that had one or two bits missing so I knew it needed work.  I persuaded the seller to cooperate with a courier that I arranged to save me a 400 mile drive.  When it arrived, the flimsy packaging was torn and the control frame and drive ball at the end were missing, lost in transit.  So now it has a lot more bits missing, so I'm looking for some spares for this machine.

Can anybody help. Would obviously prefer it if they are UK based but as the parts aren't that big, shipping (well packaged) might be an option......

Thanks 

David Maddison - UK - Plymouth

In trying to track down the necessary spares I contacted the UK Sales rep for Fortuna Sciving Machines.  His reply this morning was "interesting", he said I needed to buy a handbook/manual for £50 + Vat and he would happily act as a consultant for £75/hour.  Its not the last he will here of this I'm sure........

David Maddison

Plymouth UK

2 hours ago, Davidmadd said:

In trying to track down the necessary spares I contacted the UK Sales rep for Fortuna Sciving Machines.  His reply this morning was "interesting", he said I needed to buy a handbook/manual for £50 + Vat and he would happily act as a consultant for £75/hour.  Its not the last he will here of this I'm sure........

David Maddison

Plymouth UK

UNBELIEVABLE a..hole. Hope this manual helpsFortuna 50 p ag.pdf

Fortuna Skiver Spares Search - I now know it to be a 34S-RO - The RO relating to a shute, which I don't have as its head only.  Made in 1976

Well many, many thanks to Rocky Aussie for sending me a great manual for this machine.  It seems that the local UK rep is a freelance chap and is not an employee of Fortuna.  I did contact them and they have been very helpful and sent me a manual as well, but its not as comprehensive as Rocky's inasmuch as there are no part numbers in it to enable me to order the correct parts but I'm thinking OEM parts will be quite expensive.  I've had a look on a site called AliExpress and have found some generic parts that look as if they will fit.  But having fun finding them again.  Its looks like an Amazon type site based in the far east, whether its China or Korea or elsewhere I am not sure but no doubt its created using the home country language. When searching in English I guess I'm searching for the foreign translation and I wasn't getting far looking for skiving or even sciving machine spares. By chance I discovered that using the term Shovelling machine gets me more hits but still haven't found the original spares I spotted a few days ago.

Just to ask a question.  Fortuna informed me that my machine is designated a "34" which relates to a skiving width of 34mm. Now what dictates the skiving width. Would it relate to knife diameter, size of drive roller, size of presser foot or a combination of all three.  Also, in my searching I came across drive wheels made of a polyurethane type compound, as well as the more usual steel ones. 

Anyone had experience of using these????  They seem a lot cheaper than the steel ones!!!

David - Plymouth UK

Have a look at this link which will show you one of the best ranges of parts that will fit most of the bell knife skiving machines.https://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/FAV - Fratelli Alberti

The bell is the same size to the best of my knowledge and the feed stone and to some degree matching presser or roller feet come in the 50mm or 34mm size ranges. Go with the 50mm. I would not want a steel wheel unless I was doing very heavy saddlery type work myself. If you accidentally adjust the feed wheel up too much you can destroy your bell edge. They will also give you a rippely thick thin edge on thin leather, sort of corrugated. Likewise the poly type wheels will dig in a wreck the poly feed if you adjust it into the blade as well. You can get fine and coarse feed wheels and I find that the fine ones have the extra benefit of being able to remove the burr after a hard sharpening on the bell. For fine softer leathers go with the fine stone and if going for average medium weights go with the coarse. I use fine for anything though. Last thing get a roller presser....I use one on everything.https://www.campbell-randall.com/product/fav-1498c-roller-foot-with-30mm-1498-roller

Check out my youtube channel for a few other tips.