Saw Springfield Leather Co. make a fly fishing wallet and it looked fun, this is my first attempt and have decided to change some things already. Fly fisherman are very serious about there craft.

DSC01547.thumb.jpg.a8334e0c8a2daacf0adcc1109001429b.jpg

DSC01546.thumb.jpg.689893cbe932d1d4dee71ef669b52a9a.jpg

Nice tooling. I like your choice for the main body border stamp,( the pyramid shape). What is the number for that stamp?

1 hour ago, rleather said:

Nice tooling. I like your choice for the main body border stamp,( the pyramid shape). What is the number for that stamp?

Thank you, it is a Barry King stamp. He doesn't use a numbering system sorry.

Thanks, I will check it out.

@WalterF I may be mistaken but I though you said earlier that you were just getting started.   If that is the case, you're already getting really great at the craft.  I struggle with basket stamps, keeping the impressions the same depth (not to mention keeping them in a straight line).    Super job!

Very nice.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, JayEhl said:

@WalterF I may be mistaken but I though you said earlier that you were just getting started.   If that is the case, you're already getting really great at the craft.  I struggle with basket stamps, keeping the impressions the same depth (not to mention keeping them in a straight line).    Super job!

Thank you for the kind words, it just sort of clicked.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, Hags said:

Very nice.

Thank you

really nice work !!! have you thought of putting a chain or maybe a lanyard similar to a truckers wallet so it wont get dropped in the creek an float away. Don't ask me how i know lol.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

really nice work !!! have you thought of putting a chain or maybe a lanyard similar to a truckers wallet so it wont get dropped in the creek an float away. Don't ask me how i know lol.

Oh.  Oh no.  no... no no no no ......  no no nnooooooo!!!!  dammit.

Also, I've already redesigned this thing in my head, so now I'll add a ring for a lanyard.  Thanks for the tip!  Now to put together 2 hours of time so I can actually make it...

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

1. That is a really nice piece of work.  Really nice basketweave job and that triangle border stamp looks just right for it

1a. one thing I would do differently, is to end the fleece before the fold over closure flap. Maybe put a thin piece of skiver leather on that part

2. Good idea chuck. I remember losing a lot of fishing equipment to Neptune.    Sea fishing here, but wallets like this are used for flies for sea trout and sea bass.

3. My new selling agent has these on my list of things to produce for her. Your job inspires me to get a shufty on* with making a few. They'll be different to yours tho

3a. I like your closure lock. I'll be using a marine grade lift-the-dot fitting on mine. 

* a shufty on = an Ulsterism meaning to 'just get on with it', set to to actually doing the job. Not to be confused with the English meaning of to look quickly'

Edited by fredk

51 minutes ago, fredk said:

a. one thing I would do differently, is to end the fleece before the fold over closure flap. Maybe put a thin piece of skiver leather on that part

This was top in my mental design.  I imagine it will make closure a world different.

I really like the fish jumping in the basketweave. I find that kind of thing is very tough to pull off. Beautiful job.