immiketoo

The latest weights.

Lovely! What do you use to undercut the leaves?

34 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Lovely! What do you use to undercut the leaves?

Thanks!  Petal lifter from Ed LaBarre.  He sells a set of four sizes.  This was the smallest of them.

Another beautiful batch Mike!

Looks great, as always.  I've been wondering, though, how do you get the texturing like on the blue one?  

- Bill

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Another beautiful batch Mike!

Thank you sir!

Just now, billybopp said:

Looks great, as always.  I've been wondering, though, how do you get the texturing like on the blue one?  

- Bill

A question I get a lot.  I experimented with a variety of materials with texture until I found one I liked and went with it.  I encourage you to try the same.  When you start looking at things for the texture they apply, nearly everything becomes a leather tool.

2 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Thank you sir!

A question I get a lot.  I experimented with a variety of materials with texture until I found one I liked and went with it.  I encourage you to try the same.  When you start looking at things for the texture they apply, nearly everything becomes a leather tool.

Cool ... thanks!   I was thinking it looked like it might be a window screen or piece of canvas.  :)

- Bill

Edited by billybopp

6 hours ago, billybopp said:

Cool ... thanks!   I was thinking it looked like it might be a window screen or piece of canvas.  :)

- Bill

You’re actually not far off.  I tried both of those!  Eventually, I found a piece of plastic from an old CD box that I liked.  The rest is history :)

These are just beautiful.  Perfect execution from the tooling to the forming, stitching and the edges.  

Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever explain what you use for the weight itself?  

22 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

These are just beautiful.  Perfect execution from the tooling to the forming, stitching and the edges.  

Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever explain what you use for the weight itself?  

Thank you!  No I never did.  :)

No problem!  I don't begrudge people holding tight to things they've figured out on their own.  Thanks for the response though!

Edit:  I found something perfect.  Took about 2 seconds searching for it.  So if you are curious, just use your "google fu" and look around.

Edited by Tugadude

As usual, from you, some very most excellent work

I have a couple of 1kg bar weights which would look better wrapped in leather

15 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

No problem!  I don't begrudge people holding tight to things they've figured out on their own.  Thanks for the response though!

Edit:  I found something perfect.  Took about 2 seconds searching for it.  So if you are curious, just use your "google fu" and look around.

I don’t hold much back, but occasionally I keep something to myself for a while.  Eventually, I’ll do a class about them and all secrets will be revealed.  Also, what I’m using isn’t available to anyone else, so that’s why I encourage folks to do their own thang!

2 minutes ago, fredk said:

As usual, from you, some very most excellent work

I have a couple of 1kg bar weights which would look better wrapped in leather

Thank you.  Since I started making these, I’ve been eyeballing all kinds of things that would look good wrapped in leather!  I’d love to see what yours look like!

I noticed what I think was your work in the Saddler Leather Makers Journal.   Well done if it was and if not, you have a doppleganger!!

27 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

I noticed what I think was your work in the Saddler Leather Makers Journal.   Well done if it was and if not, you have a doppleganger!!

You are correct!  I am a regularly contributing writer for the magazine, and I always try to put some good stuff in there for everyone!

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

I am a regularly contributing writer for the magazine

I can see why!   Very excellent stuff, sir!

Really nice art and leather work.

5 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

I can see why!   Very excellent stuff, sir!

Thanks boss!

4 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

Thank you :)

On 8/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, immiketoo said:

5D5C4690-9815-4CC2-8557-CF94346D671F.jpeg

EFC77C1A-25AC-470A-9DCD-4026DE51B665.jpeg

1D1E9090-05A0-47AF-81ED-BE7381A1A03F.jpeg

866B17C9-1E93-433C-B473-02246C8EB54E.jpeg

0D322114-C38F-4DA4-BFE5-179B1664B862.jpeg

7D8CE87F-D6A4-485C-8B5D-761AC7DCE726.jpeg

Dude these are so sick!! 

A. do you sell these? 

B. Where can I see the Ed LaBarre tools? 

30 minutes ago, Somiskid said:

Dude these are so sick!! 

A. do you sell these? 

B. Where can I see the Ed LaBarre tools? 

Thank you!  Yes I sell them.  You’d have to contact Ed to see what tools he has for sale, unless you just want to see pics of mine?

A6962D51-3A17-4CEA-837A-94C37FB49075.jpeg

20 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Thank you!

I bought BK's petal lifters but they are so flat and round they seem to cut the leather, especially the smaller size one.   The ones shown are more blunt but sharp enough on the front to go into the tight corners, similar to the Tandy craft tool versions I have now and still use.   I hate Fb and very rarely get on.   If they're reasonable enough, I'll have to pick one  up.  That way I can get as good as @immiketoo   :)  

Edited by JayEhl

42 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

I bought BK's petal lifters but they are so flat and round they seem to cut the leather, especially the smaller size one.   The ones shown are more blunt but sharp enough on the front to go into the tight corners, similar to the Tandy craft tool versions I have now and still use.   I hate Fb and very rarely get on.   If they're reasonable enough, I'll have to pick one  up.  That way I can get as good as @immiketoo   :)  

I have the stamp version by BK too.  Never use them.  These are far more user friendly.  Grey Ghost also makes an excellent set of these that are just as good.  And he has a website :)

14 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Grey Ghost also makes an excellent set of these that are just as good.  And he has a website

Yup.  Reasonably priced, too.    Thanks!

https://greyghostgraphics.com/product-category/petallifters/

I couldn't find any tools by Ed. Anyone have the link?

All I found were obituaries!!  :unsure::o

These are just as impressive as the rest, Mike, but that maple leaf is outstanding. Very nicely done.