taltexan

Stitch tightness on Cowboy 3200

It seems I get different tightness when sewing leather.  Some seem to be really tight, some loose and some about right when sewing the same piece.  What can I do to solve this problem?  

when I create a pattern it seems my stitch lines are always to tight or to loose when I mold the holster! It always takes me an extra holster to get it right.  I’ve tried several different videos about layout but it never works.  Thanks for looking.

693F8864-DCC6-4A73-98ED-4EFD655E1CF2.jpeg

I’m afraid that’s just the trial and error to figure it all out.  When I’m prototyping a new pattern, I buy sheets of 5mm craft foam from Hobby Lobby or Michaels https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Basic-Crafts/Craft-Foam/Foam-Sheet---12-x-18/p/80763167

5mm is between 12-13 oz so just about perfect re: thickness of material. and it will tear along the stitching if your pattern is too tight.  A lot cheaper that using leather.  I can usually get 2-3 prototypes out of 1 sheet.  Err on the side of slightly too loose for the stitch pattern vs. too tight as the foam has more stretch/give than leather. 

You will still need to fine tune once you translate to leather.  

Once you have a good pattern in the foam I cut the thread out and pull the glue apart and I can lay it flat on a piece of card stock to have a flat pattern. 

I’ll post a pic in a day or two when I can drag one out.  I’m not currently near my shop space. 

I just got my machine and haven't made anything other than scrap yet.  I wet form a larger than needed piece first, and then trim to size and then sew.  This will mean that some parts of holsters will have to be hand stitched, but I'm wondering if the process of stitching and then wet forming loosens some holes and not others.