Dwolf01

Treating strap leather to prevent oil stains

Hi guys- I am making bags with Kodiak leather and the straps I am using are finished, but must be veg tanned bc they are absorbing oil spots from the Kodiak. I was thinking I should just put some sort of oil on the strap to even out the color and prevent more splotches. Any recommendations on oil or other solutions? I really would like to use the straps I have. Thanks in advance!! 

The only oil I use on my leather is neats foot oil . . . and there are two products there.  One is neats foot compound . . . and it has some other stuff mixed in with it.

I have always been and have always advised against it . . . but rather the REAL neats foot oil . . . 100% stuff.  It will supple up some dried out leather . . . and will make whatever you put it on water resistant.  It is not water proof . . . just resistant.

And yes . . . it will darken the product . . . but it by "being there first" will expell other products trying to invade the leather.

I'm not familiar with Kodiak leather . . . but I believe if you try a small piece . . . you may find it will work well for you.

Best wishes, may God bless,

Dwight

On 8/16/2021 at 10:24 AM, Dwight said:

The only oil I use on my leather is neats foot oil . . . and there are two products there.  One is neats foot compound . . . and it has some other stuff mixed in with it.

I have always been and have always advised against it . . . but rather the REAL neats foot oil . . . 100% stuff.  It will supple up some dried out leather . . . and will make whatever you put it on water resistant.  It is not water proof . . . just resistant.

And yes . . . it will darken the product . . . but it by "being there first" will expell other products trying to invade the leather.

I'm not familiar with Kodiak leather . . . but I believe if you try a small piece . . . you may find it will work well for you.

Best wishes, may God bless,

Dwight

Thank you!  I’ll try that! I’m using it on straps that are veg tanned and still very porous

45 minutes ago, Dwolf01 said:

Thank you!  I’ll try that! I’m using it on straps that are veg tanned and still very porous

A friend had a fairly dry saddle . . . and the wool had started coming off it . . . he asked me to "fix" it . . . 

I had to rip off the old wool . . . leather backing was ripping all over the place . . . and like I said . . . it was a tad dry.  

The picture inside the house was before neatsfoot oil . . . the outside picture is after.

May God bless,

Dwight

daves saddle 1.jpg

daves saddle 2.jpg

Nice Work!!

4 hours ago, Dwight said:

The picture inside the house was before neatsfoot oil . . . the outside picture is after.

Bet you couldn't have gotten that good of a result with olive oil. 

2 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Bet you couldn't have gotten that good of a result with olive oil. 

Don't recall what it was some years ago . . . tried olive oil . . . never tried it again.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Don't recall what it was some years ago . . . tried olive oil . . . never tried it again.

A kid I knew in scouts used olive oil on his baseball glove. Turned the glove a funny color and smelled like last night's salad. Some on this site swear by it, but it has and expiration date and can go rancid.