Sign in to follow this  
undeberg

S&W model 29

Help, I'm trying to find a model 29 smith and wesson mold gun.  My client has a 4 inch barrel on his pistol and I can't find a mold gun anywhere.  Boise foundry is now out of business, bunkhouse tools has a magnum python that looks similar, but I just feel like If I'm making a high end holster it should fit the clients firearm, not "sort of" fit.  I would be happy to rent or buy a mold gun from someone that is an exact fit.

Thanks,

Brandon

The S&W Model 29 (and companion 629 in stainless) is made on the large "N" frame and also features the longest cylinder length used in that series. Barrel profiles will vary quite a bit, but most are the heavier "bull barrels" (the exception being the Mountain Gun series).

What came to be known as the N-frame started out as the large-frame Hand Ejector series very early in the 20th Century. The Model 29 is a model number designation dating from about 1960 or so, when S&W started using such numbers in lieu of the original marketing names. Originally, the 29 was known simply as the .44 Magnum model.

All of the N-frame revolvers share the same frame dimensions, trigger guard profiles, and other major design features. The differences will come primarily in cylinder lengths (depending on calibers from .38 to .45), fixed or adjustable rear sights, and barrel profiles. Probably 3 representative pieces will make holsters usable for all, except the high-end "hunter" and "silhouette" models with crazy barrel profiles and attachment rails for scopes and other accessories.

Finding "dummy guns" for any of the revolvers has become a tedious challenge. Contrary to some beliefs, dummy guns are not made for holster forming, they are made for training purposes (law enforcement and security forces), so what might be available at any given time is usually limited to the most common and popular makes and models in current production.

There is a significant and enduring market for good revolver holsters, so those in the business can benefit from investing in the necessary tools for patterning and forming work. In my shop I kept several N-frames including a Model 29 6.5", Model 629 3", Model 28 4" Highway Patrolman, Model 625 .45 caliber, Model 1917 US Army, and a .38-44 Heavy Duty Outdoorsman. That combination allowed me to make holsters for probably 98% of all N-frame S&W revolvers. Unfortunately for today's small shop operator, those same revolvers would cost thousands of dollars to purchase. There would have to be a steady stream of new orders to justify the investment; but the investment is exactly that, not an expense but an asset that grows in value over time. The guns I acquired over the years for use in the holster work provided a very nice dividend for my retirement fund!

If someone had specs, can one be made with a 3D printer?  Just a thought :dunno:

HS

Undeberg,

Don't use the Python.  I own both and don't think it will get you very close.  JM2C

Jim

11 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Undeberg,

Don't use the Python.  I own both and don't think it will get you very close.  JM2C

Jim

Agreed ... they python is nice, but not a mold for the 29.

SHOOT .. .I see my 29 mold has had the hammer busted off!  Something ELSE to take care of ....

Thanks for the heads up on the python.  Where would one look for one of these older mold guns?  

N frames are the hardest ones to find it seems.  Took me years to find one.  Then I found Boise and grabbed a couple.  Then they closed.  

I put a buddy of mine in contact with them.  He owns a foundry in NC.  But I don't think anything came of it.  Which sucks for holster makers.  It's a niche market but no one is in that market any longer.