annabelle2710

Two walking foot machine options which should I choose?!?

Hello there! ive recently been making some motorcycle seats on a pfaff straight stitch industrial, ive realised I really enjoy doing this kind of upholstery and working with leather and vinyl so ive began shopping around for a used walking foot machine, ive read through a few of the pinned threads on here which are super helpful (thanks!!) but I cant find a whole lot of info about one of the machines im looking at, theres two im interested in going to see and I would love some advice on what people think would be the best deal and the best fit for my work! the two machines I like the look of best in my area are 

-Chikon CK-8BL ( this is considerably cheaper)

-Mason KM-340 BL 

both are said to be good to go and one owner each!

any thoughts or info would be amazing! thank you!

I am not familiar with those makes and models. They are probably clones of better known designs. Can you provide photos of both of the machines so members can give you better advise? Condition is also a big factor and photos of the actual machines will help.

In the Vancouver area Mason sewing machines are Sunstar machines that are sold by Mason Sewing.  Marc at Mason Sewing provide excellent service and advise I have a lot of 'mikes' on Sunstar machines and they have done well for me. 

JJN this is the chikon which I believe is a consew?

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.43.15 PM.png

and this is the mason, thanks sonydaze for the info on the mason sewing, i didnt pu ttwo and two together on that one!

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.43.39 PM.jpg

The Chikon looks like a Consew 206rb. I have 2 of them. They are great machines. That would be my pick.

Based just on the pictures, I would probably choose the Chikon as well as it looks like it has a servo motor and needle positioner.

kgg

7 hours ago, annabelle2710 said:

there is also a Techsew 2750 PRO  but its rather out of budget really !

The first two machines you mentioned are flatbed machines.  The Techsew 2750 is a cylinder arm machine.  Quite a different beast.  Unless you have specific needs that require a cylinder arm, I'd suggest you stick with a flatbed to start.  It would probably do just about everything for you, but like many here, if you really get into it, you may add machines of different types as your needs dictate.  I started with flatbed and then added a cylinder arm machine, and now I'm drooling over a post bed machine.  SIGH

thank you everyone! im going to go and try out the chikon on sunday! thanks.... mtlbiker for pointing that out, I was wondering what people suggested for starting out as the cylinder arm looks great for tricky angles and stuff but that being said my attempts on a regular industrial pfaff straight stitch havent worked out too horribly! 

1 hour ago, annabelle2710 said:

im going to go and try out the chikon on sunday!

What is the approximate asking price of these clone machines? This may also help with other suggestions.

kgg

The prices in BC seems to be way too high for used machines (clone or brand name) as compared to Ontario. Juki LU-563 can be had for about $800 CA, PFAFF 1245 for about $500 CAD. I would check with a couple of Ontario Dealers and see what they can offer. I know some people have purchased used brand name Juki machines and had them shipped out west cheaper rather then buying local. You could probably get a new clone out of Ontario say a KOBE DNU 1541 S (one class notch up from the Chikon) or a KOBE LS-1341 (cylinder bed similar to the Techsew 2750) for about that price.

kgg