Sign in to follow this  
fallendesperado

Dumb question about older sailrite lsz-1 needles

Hey this is really some silly novice questions but I picked up an older lsz1 with a pretty hefty hand wheel on it. I doubt it's going to do what I need but first question is there a substitute needle I can use just to see if it can sew? It calls for 135x16 or 135x17 and I have none. 

I have a bazillion domestic 15x1 , 127x1,  dbx1,  some 332 LL LG , 287 wh... and 16x257 and 16x231

I hate buying needles for a machine I probably won't keep so do I have anything that might work for testing? Also everyone is a week out minimum because the shipping companies are slow

The machine uses singer 15 bobbin case with an oscillating hook like most of the Japanese domestic machines and it runs and feeds well. 

Edited by fallendesperado

135x16 or 135x17 are the only needles that will work correctly in a Sailrite. 

50 minutes ago, fallendesperado said:

Hey this is really some silly novice questions but I picked up an older lsz1 with a pretty hefty hand wheel on it. I doubt it's going to do what I need but first question is there a substitute needle I can use just to see if it can sew? It calls for 135x16 or 135x17 and I have none. 

I have a bazillion domestic 15x1 , 127x1,  dbx1,  some 332 LL LG , 287 wh... and 16x257 and 16x231

I hate buying needles for a machine I probably won't keep so do I have anything that might work for testing? Also everyone is a week out minimum because the shipping companies are slow

The machine uses singer 15 bobbin case with an oscillating hook like most of the Japanese domestic machines and it runs and feeds well. 

Why wouldn't you keep that machine?  I have one (new a couple of months ago) and I love it!  I just used it to sew through three layers of 8oz veg tan leather, with no problem.  (Using the 135x16 leather needles.)  I also have two other industrial machines, flatbed and cylinder arm, yet this LSZ-1 is pretty darn useful.  I got the Premium package, and then a month later I added the compact folding table Sailrite offers.  I didn't really need a zig-zag machine and I tried that just to see that it works.  But I'd never imagined how useful that zig-zag feature would be in my sewing... you can set the needle position to left, center or right within the presser foot and that means without having to change presser feet for things like sewing zippers, etc. I just move the needle position and I can do it.  And it sounds like you might have what they call their "monster" wheel.  That too is great!  Sometimes I don't even use the motor, preferring to just turn the wheel slowly by hand (depending on what I'm sewing).

The only down side of this machine is the small domestic size bobbin.  I'm used to much larger bobbins and I keep running out of bottom thread because of that.  I'll get used to it I guess.

And as far as needles go, they're really very cheap.  Check out Wawak for good prices, and watch for when they have their sales which save you even more money.  I mostly use v92 thread in mine, but Matt Grant of Sailrite assured me that the machine would also handle up to v138 with no problem. 

Oh, before buying I was a little concerned about the clutch motor as all my other machines have servo.  But I found that it's easy to feather the pedal and for even slower sewing, I just use the monster wheel.

Love the machine!

Have a look at the Sailrite video's  they will show you what that little machine can do, if Only the other makes spent a little more of there time showing customers how and what you can do life would be so much better

see https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Projects-Guides/Projects-and-Tips/type/Projects--AND--Tips?order=custitem_popularity&page=10