Viles

Making a better holster fit.

I made some holsters for Bond arm derringers and they didn't work out. It seems the dummy gun I bought is too small. My question is if I extend the size of the pattern around the edge ends, not the top or bottom, then I should fit, right? Maybe just 10 cm or so. Maybe my sewing and edge rounding ate too much of the original pattern up. I'll be making a paper pattern today. 
One holster is for a Derringer without a trigger guard and the other is one I had with a trigger guard but a small frame size than a Bond that I tried to make larger. I have the customer's photos on one image and mine on the other. I'm really thankful when customers take the time to send a pic. Thanks for reading. 

Forum question.jpg

DerrBask (1).jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos.  I like the basketweave and stars on the one.  Something to consider when basket weaving...to ensure there are no unfinished basket weave stamps around the edge, follow up with a border stamp encapsulating the entire area that has been basket stamped.  It will literally look like the basket weave continues under the border stamp for a really neat affect.

Do you have the actual firearms now so you can make a pattern?  If so, I would definitely use them.  10cm is about 4 inches.  That seems like a lot.  if you don't have the firearms, based on the pics, you could probably add 1/4" to each side(1/2" total) of the flat cut piece.  So yes, just extend the width and not the length of the piece.

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Thanks for sharing the photos.   10cm is about 4 inches.  That seems like a lot.

I think I meant mm. I know inches but realized when I flip the ruler over the mm are easier for me to read and use now that I got some reading glasses. Thank you VERY much for the stamping tips. I'm just kinda going at it and learning. Honestly, I was prob drunk when I did this but have since stopped drinking on the weekdays. I think all that staying inside with the kids 24 hours did me in a little last year, idk. I only have one or two on the weekends with the wife if we are out at a ball game. That pic is a lot bigger than the actual holster and I see it's all over the place haha! 

Go look on YouTube for Sam Andrew's. He has a few holster making videos that may help make a pattern. Also JLS leather website has some pattern making pdfs that are good. And if you look on this forum there was one or 2 pinned tutorials on holster making that were very good also 

This was one I remember. The principals will get you close I think 

Great. Thank you, Stetson! I've made holsters before but just on a production line, so just one thing 100 times a day. This is the first time I'm doing the whole piece on my own. Its a lot of fun. 

Edited by Viles

It is very fun. Those resources should get you off to a good start

20 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

This was one I remember. The principals will get you close I think 

Jim's PDF is pretty good -- I recommend it. 

Sam's short (and unlike most videos, TO THE POINT) video packs all the info into about 12 minutes (those hour and a half long marketing shows you see about "how to" make a holster are exactly what they appear to be... standard "I need attention" garbage).  This is quite good and the principle is the same as Jim's PDF (above). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdKDmcmu8k

Those Bond guns can be a bit different than most others, being a break action thingie, but it does appear from the pics that your mold is quite small. FWIW, I have a design I'm fine tooning ;) and the top of the holster (a bit like yours with the trigger guard) is about 185 mm across the top when laid flat - fits the ACTUAL BA snake slayer pretty good ;)

Edited by JLSleather

Wait, maybe I just need a welt in there. I'll try that first! 

Thank you for the video link JSL. That was so straight to the point it was brilliant. I get it now. 

Edited by Viles

100_3624.thumb.jpg.3c85c643ec28e760117d6c26aab5f547.jpg

Edited by sheathmaker
add text: this is for a Bond Derriger also

17 hours ago, Viles said:

Thank you for the video link JSL. That was so straight to the point it was brilliant. I get it now. 

I totally second that! Thanks, JSL.

20 hours ago, Viles said:

Thanks goes to Sam Andrews.  I was going to make pretty much this exact video, but I found Sam had it covered so well that it was unnecessary to repeat, so I just point people to HIS video.  Anybody duplicating this information is doing just that -- COPYING what has already been done very well.