KennethM

line a tote bag with canvas

I know someone here has done this before lol,how to you go about lining a tote bag? what method? what is your fav lining material? 

Using the same pattern as the tote bag  . . .  make a canvas one or vinyl one using the same pattern.  

Cut it slightly smaller if you use vinyl . . . same size for canvas . . . on the rim of the tote bag . . . put a border . . . sew the lining to the inside of the border . . . works really well for what few I've done.

May God bless,

Dwight

canvas is ok,  have you tried pleather?  i use it as a liner

at 6 dollars for 18sq ft.  i find it worth it

008.thumb.JPG.d4807771283d22591b21c858863f7fa9.JPG

Last one I did was for a wedding gift . . . I had something near 30 hours in it . . . about a year later . . .  got an email . . . lady had hunted me down with my leather logo . . . said she bought it in a second hand shop . . . wondered why I had made it . . . what was it's purpose.  Purpose  was to go shopping . . . stuff it full of stuff . . . come home.

I haven't made a wedding gift since.

meredith 1.jpg

meredith 2.jpg

meredith 3.jpg

meredith 4.jpg

meredith 5.jpg

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

a wedding gift . . . I had something near 30 hours in it . . . about a year later . . . second hand shop . . .

Sorry to off-topic this thread... but dang Dwight, I winced when I read that story. Ouch!

The meek will inherit the earth..... but they will not make any more wedding gifts.  :) 

Edited by maxdaddy

On 8/23/2021 at 11:13 PM, maxdaddy said:

Sorry to off-topic this thread... but dang Dwight, I winced when I read that story. Ouch!

The meek will inherit the earth..... but they will not make any more wedding gifts.  :) 

yea man wow, thats a kick in the nuts.. do yall think lining tote bags isn't worth it? it doesn't take me long to make a tote badge have the right equipment 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:13 AM, maxdaddy said:

KennethM . . . yea man wow, thats a kick in the nuts.. do yall think lining tote bags isn't worth it? it doesn't take me long to make a tote badge have the right equipment 

Actually . . . I've always thought that a lined product (for the most part) is a better item . . . and tote bags are especially in that category.

So yeah . . . I would rather line em.  Canvas is my bottom choice . . . boat vinyl is next . . . and of course leather is the top choice.

But I did learn a lesson . . . buy the wedding gift . . . 

I had known from years past that lots of wedding gifts get the "exit stage left" treatment . . . but I had convinced myself that it would not happen to something this carefully crafted . . . especially with the relationship we had.

Reminds me of that guy standing in the library . . . wondering if he should check out that paperback book on understanding women.

May God bless,

Dwight

understanding women.jpg

yea brother that sucks that happened to you! ahh idk (no offense) I feel its tacky to use pleater or cheap shit to line a baggy love the way the canvas looks but I haven't had much luck with it. I wonder what else is there to use

Boat vinyl is a good product . . . takes contact cement very well on the back side . . . sticks really well to the leather . . . especially the flesh side.  

The PLUS you get is it protects the leather fairly well . . . being for the most part "water proof".  

To get a really good product you can cement it to the back side of leather . . . hide that in your edges . . . and if you got to Joann Fabric . . . look on the i'net and get a 20 to 50% off coupon . . . I do it all the time.

I use the vinyl for patterns . . . works really well.

May God bless,

Dwight