PastorBob

Need Help with Purchase: Juki 1541S

This will be my first sewing machine and don't know enough to be dangerous.  I found a Juki 1541S with a walking foot.  The owner says less than 100 hours. $1200.  Is this a good price?  Will it sew 12 oz. leather okay?  Thanks for all your help.

41 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

This will be my first sewing machine and don't know enough to be dangerous.  I found a Juki 1541S with a walking foot.  The owner says less than 100 hours. $1200.  Is this a good price?  Will it sew 12 oz. leather okay?  Thanks for all your help.

Yes and yes. It is an excellent machine for sewing leather up to 3/8 inch, with thread sizes up to #138 top and bottom, or #207 top and 138 in the bobbin. It is just a step down from the top of the line LU-1508N and NH.

30 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

I found a Juki 1541S with a walking foot.

I do own a Juki 1541S and they are a good machine. They are rated for V138 top and in the bobbin but probably could take V207 at least as a top thread. However my machine hates thin stuff. I think it would easily handle the 12 oz which is about 1/4" thick but it will depend on how tough the leather is. Any pictures??

The price is a hard one to determine, depends on condition, clutch or servo motor and prices in your area. A new one would be about $1800 US while a clone contender would be a new Consew 206RB-5.

kgg

3 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes and yes. It is an excellent machine for sewing leather up to 3/8 inch, with thread sizes up to #138 top and bottom, or #207 top and 138 in the bobbin. It is just a step down from the top of the line LU-1508N and NH.

Thanks!!!!  Is is a good price for a 2007 model?

23 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Is is a good price for a 2007 model?

Does it have a servo motor if not add at least $150 to the price you are paying. Without photo's that shows the overall condition and detailed ones of the thread path and bed, getting an answer is going to be difficult. If the machine is in mint condition no missing parts, no thread worn gouges in the thread path tensioner's, no path worn off the bed, servo motor and most importantly sews properly then I would.

kgg

6 minutes ago, kgg said:

Does it have a servo motor if not add at least $150 to the price you are paying. Without photo's that shows the overall condition and detailed ones of the thread path and bed, getting an answer is going to be difficult. If the machine is in mint condition no missing parts, no thread worn gouges in the thread path tensioner's, no path worn off the bed, servo motor and most importantly sews properly then I would.

kgg

I can't tell much from the pics...they are from far away and don't really show much. i will call and if I find out anything I will share.

New sewing machines are exciting. Yes that's a good price. Nice find! 

26 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

they are from far away and don't really show much

How far away are they, it maybe worth a trip and do you have a dealer repair shop within the same distance range that may have a similar machine?

kgg

i am still on the fence.  The machine is close by...just spending that much money on a hobby, versus hand stitching.  the more I think about it,  i will probably pass.

Thanks for all the help and timely advice.

Boy, that would be something I would be interested in for $1200.   Missouri is a bit of drive for me, though.  :(  

That's a good price. I have one and love it. Can't imagine not having it. I don't sew leather exclusively but it gives me confidence when I do. It's my goto for anything light canvas and thicker. Anything else a domestic could handle.

If you love hand sewing and that's really all your projects require, an art in itself, then I agree skip a pricey machine all together.  

Dave

KC