kgg

Scratch Awl with Combo Sheath

I have always had a problems with round handled tools in general wondering away and the awl was no different. So I built my own scratch awl and dolled it up with some 3d printed features to act more like a pen with a comfort indent for my index finger and end cover for the wooden handle. That seemed to take care of the awl but not the wondering when laid down. So I 3d printed a flat bottom sheath with the inside shaped to fit the contours of the awl and a handle stop so it does fall out. Also it protects the needle and me from getting poked.

The next problem was to make the whole package do more. As I do a fair bit of inside out sewing that then requires it be turn right side out, much like you would do for a pillow case, getting the corner bunching out has been a problem. So the nose had to be nice and round but blunt so it wouldn't punch through. Also when I use double side tape to hold items together I have used various item to press the pieces together so I needed a little contour at the bottom side of the nose to held flatten pieces together.

I used cheap and I mean cheap PLA for this prototype and didn't dial in the printer to handle this PLA which is less forgiving on the heat and horizontal expansion compensation settings.

This is what I came up with. Any comments or improvement suggestions are always appreciated.

PHOTO:

1) awl with index finger comfort indent

2) sheath round nose with bottom contour for flattening

3) awl and sheath with hangup string

4) how the awl fits my hand much like a pen would

5) awl in sheath with a index finger comfort indent

6) how awl and sheath fits my hand much like a pen would for flattening

kgg

finger1.jpg

finger2.jpg

finger3.jpg

finger4.jpg

finger5.jpg

finger6.jpg

First I thought, "lots of work for a few scratches" but then it came that you are probably transferring intricate designs to leather for tooling, aren't you? Congratulations for finding the solution to your problems!

Sadly I don't have any suggestions, because I only ever do a few scratches for cutting, and I use a simple "automatic sewing" awl for that. Or a doffer stick that came with my drum carder. My diamond awl handle has flattened sides so as not to roll on the table and I filed it down until it fit my hand.

Wow.  Nice work.  How do you get it in the sheath?  Looks like the top part would prevent it from going straight into the sheath?

excellent would make an awesome scrimshaw tool also.

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

How do you get it in the sheath?  Looks like the top part would prevent it from going straight into the sheath?

Thank you. The trick was to making the back section flexible enough to bend slightly too allow the awl into the sheath.

49 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

excellent would make an awesome scrimshaw tool also.

Thank you, I never thought of that use. I might have a chance later to night to make one with a shorter needle, more pen like.

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

would make an awesome scrimshaw tool 

Had a few minutes tonight so I threw together this version of my awl. I extended the index finger support and shorten the overall length by about 11/ 16" (17.5 mm). The second version is definitely more pen like.

Photo:

1) Side by side view of both awl's.

2) Left hand has the first version awl and the right hand has the shorten version awl.

No excuse now, I have one for each hand.

kgg

finger_n1.jpg

finger_n2.jpg